Model Cars Magazine Forum

interior flocking

I recently flocked some carpet on my Impala. I used a basic brown I had at the time and then painted it black.

Painting could be one way of doing it. Another could be masking the thinner strip, flocking, removing the tape once dry and then applying a light coat of glue in the bare area and laying the gold down.

I guess the biggest trick would be taking the required amount of care ;)

Jim, I would probably say Mick hit the nail on the head with his second idea. I would probably do the same thing laying the red down first, then unmask the area you want gold. I think maybe the only thing I would add is use a notecard or something similar to "mask" the red, but would not stick to the red and possibly pull it up. That way it would reduce the chance of contaminating the red with the gold.

i read on here a while ago about something called "embossing" powder

from what i understand it works the same way flocking does but is a lot easier to paint and holds its fuzzy after painting

i never tried it myself but it sure sounds good

I use both flocking and embossing powder. If I had to pick which one I like more would be the embossing powder hands down. That stuff isn't like flocking at all. As some of us know working with flocking can at times be a pain in the rear if you have to do touch ups in spots where the flocking wasn't that good. Now embossing powder on the other hand is way easier to work with. Say you had a thin spot, you could put some elmer glue down right on the embossing powder and cover the area and add more embossing powder.You can also use future shine with embossing powder as well as I also done that to.

Now to cover a small area like the person above wants to do. If it was me, I would do one of the following ways.

1) I would get a small artist brush with a fine point. Get some elmers glue and easy apply the glue with the brush to the area and use the tip to get that nice fine line between the two tone. Then get some tweezers and easy use the tweezers to apply the flocking to said area. this way you are keeping the flocking in control. Then when applied take your finger and easy press down on the flocking to make sure all the flocking under it makes a real nice connection with the glue. Then leave the panel or tub set for afew hours or over night. Then take and use another artist brush, say the next day to easy clean the flocking left overs off the panel by easy brushing it off.. or you could just blow it off. LOL

2) I would get a post card, if the panel is a flat panel that can be layed down. I would take and make a templet of the area, trace it out on the post card and then cut that area out of the post center but just make it alittle smeller. Get your self some spray glue elmers and place the card over the panel. M<ake sure teh card is was bigger then what the panel is and make sure th card is laying close to or on the panel as possible and keep one hand with afew fingers on the card and use the spray glue give it afew think light swips. Then take and add the flocking and press down on it like I mention above. wait for at least afew hours to make sure the glue dried and clean off the left over flocking.

I have done both of those moves and also afew others with very good results.. even with the embossing powder as well. But the embossing powder is way more easy to work with. LOL