Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Kenworth day cab

Hello

I thought you all might like to see what i have been working on. A wile back I got a Revell Kenworth snap kit and I decided to try and turn it into a day cab After I got the cab looking deasent I removed the fifth wheel slider and scratch built the center cross member,torque arms and brackets as well as shocks and mounts. this is what I have so far. eventually this truck will be a transfer dump.

Mark

post-6489-12823370649161_thumb.jpg

post-6489-12823371379956_thumb.jpg

post-6489-12823371712693_thumb.jpg

post-6489-12823372106534_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the kind words Actually the cab wasn't tat hard. I just took a AMT cab and used it for a pattern to look at wile I did the reconstruction om the back of the cab. I think the hardest part was making up my mind and getting the razor saw out. The first step was the top I cut the piece that filed in the V shape on the top of the cab. then the back pannel I just cut a piece of flat sheet to fit the hole in the back of the cab. I just took that piece and slid it up inside of a AMT cab and traced the window and cut it out.Keep in mind there will be a piece of strip that will overlap the top of the window. The next step is to put a strip at the top of the window that will represent were the fiber glass cab roof cap overlaps the aluminum cab pannels. then I pit a piece on the inside of the cab at a angle then the filler came out and the sand paper for shapping. Total time spent on the cab was about 3 hours not including the day to let the filler dry so I could sand. Wile the filler was drying I removed the sleeper bottom from the frame and put some top flanges on it and scratch built a couple cross members. For the rear suspension I just took oue of my Revell KW long hoods off the shelf and coppied the torque arms and shocks and mounts after it. My torque arms are just round stck wile the KW ones are not but aftermarket torque arms are so it is actually correct. I hope this helps any one that is thinking about doing one of these conversions. all in all its not that bad to do.

Mark