Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 daytona charger..salt flats ride..small update

mopar01lee

:D Well im so stuck on my Rancharger build so i thought i would start my salt flats daytona....

an give my mind a rest on the ram.. ;):D

so im starting this one with a crapy AMT daytona kit...(jonny lighting kit)...

i will not use the tub or the chassie..

my plans are to do a some what nascar style ride with a twist....hint ( twin turbo HEMI ).. :D

first teaser shot are of the body an the 2002 nascar frame an cage i will be usein...

note i had to cut 4mm off the sides of the frame an 3mm off the bottom of the roll bar sides..to get the body to sit flush with the bottom of the frame..

001-8.jpg

002-11.jpg

heres how things look with the frame in the body....yes the front needs body work aready in putty... :P:D

there will not be a lot of scratchin ...well who am i kiddin there be as much as posible....lol :lol::D:lol:

003-11.jpg

004-11.jpg

005-10.jpg

so let this guy kw what yall think of this insane ride to bee.......

thanks enjoy .....Davin

Edited by mopar01lee

Cool project you got there! Good idea to use the NASCAR chassis. That crappy body, as you put it, is in reality a very old MPC mold from the late sixties. So you can figure it's worn out..... Try and remove those front side panels. Or file them smooth with the front end. They really look strange, and out of place. I wonder what they were thinking at AMT/ERTL when they remodeled this kit. Those panels would probably look ok if you cut away the lower part of the front fender, and replaced the cut part with them. Then you'd get a more flush finish. Maybe I should try and do this on the kit I have..... someday.

Davin,

When you're done, we can meet on the salt and see how they run.

This was the AMT kit also, that front needs a lot of work.

Brian

me060.jpg

SURE think lets getter done ...bro.. my twin turbo aginst...whats under the hood ..lol

lookin good man i like ....

thanks davin

well i started the body work to get the front fixed ...its a lot of sanding an filein to get it to the shape i want ..

im still workin on my ram charger but i have to fix the frame on it ( my 18 month old son got ahold of it an YA....LOL B):huh:

OK heres just a quick update with a few pics enjouy my fellow builders.. B)B):D

003-12.jpg

here the side thats just about done ...... B):D

005-11.jpg

also got the roll bars started ....painted banner red as will be the cars color .. i will do some detail paintin to the padding an so forth..

only one pic batteries died...lol...sry :huh:B):D

001-9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

well its been a wile for an update on this one .. :D:o

ok i got a few things done like paint , hood scoop. well youll see

here i got my aluminum moon discs from my boy at jb-hobbies..(4.00bucks)

019.jpg

heres the hood after 3 time doin it....still a lil work left before paint..

018.jpg

in this shot (sry its hard to see) but i had to add 3mm to the front frame section behind the shock mount

so it would be centered in the wheel well... :blink::o

017.jpg

and the body is painted still got to color sand an then clear but that will be later on ...still havent found some one to do the decals i need .. but the build will go on.. :D:wacko:

heres some mock ups ..note there is no supention under the car yet still workin that out.. ENJOY.. :D:D

015.jpg

014.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

thanks cain440... :D:D:P

and in my opinion an proly alot of others , but i only speak for myself ,all this kit is an has been for yrs is a general lee with a nose an wing, to me the body is fair ( not crisp ,but fair i can work with that ) but as far as the 95% of the rest of the kit is very flawed chassi is of poor quality, :lol: as is the engine, an intirior..there are a few good point rims i like ,some engine pieces .. :D

but all in all my opinion if i wasnt a big mopar fan i would not have gottin more than one daytona an general lee from amt...

but this is an old mold so for its time im sure it was awsome ...but im not that old ..lol ;)

thanks an later days

Davin

Thanks for the explanation mopar01lee, I catch your drift.

Very cool build my friend, I wonder how she'd run on the salt. :rolleyes:

Regards Davey.

thanks an no prob.. this build is based off of a real car (the one in pic with 1001 on the door) it holds 5 speed recoreds in 5 diff classes .. it just ran 232 mph at speed week a few weeks ago..an its a real steel charger cloned as a daytona..w/a 950 hp ray barton twin fuel injeted HEMI.. i fell in love with it had to build it .. lookin for someone to do the decals ..

later days my friend

Davin

That is going to e a pretty neat build when your done! I had never seen the Wing Cars set up for the Salt Flats like that before! Seen about everything else so don't know how I missed them!B)

I will enjoy seeing more of the build!:)