Model Cars Magazine Forum

53 Ford F-800 Big Job

Hi there,

I´ve just started a another new project.It´s the conversion of an AMT ´53 Ford F-100 pickup into an Big Job F-800 truck.I´ll use the truck for my Twist´s Salvage diorama.I used the Ford F-100 Flipfront pickup for the cab,hood and fenders etc. ,the frame from an Ford Louisville shorthauler and the wheels from an Ford C-600 Stakebed truck.I shortened the whellbase to 195 inch and widened the front fenders on each side for about 0,3 inch with styrene sheet.I lowered the step and widened it to match the front fenders.I´ve done the same on the front bumper.It´s still a lot of sanding filling and glueing to that conversion.I´m still thinking about a correct engine to it. The engine I want to use for the truck was originally called Cargo King,it was na 317-cubic-inch V 8 engine.Maybe I could use the pickup engine or can someone give me an advice which engine I could use or convert into the needed one?Okay,enough words,let me see what you think about my start.

f800bigjob009.jpg

f800bigjob010.jpg

f800bigjob011.jpg

f800bigjob012.jpg

I have to add some sheet to the hood and the fenders and have to smooth all the parts for a nice look.

Thx for looking,

TWIST, This is my kinda Build I have one of these started and never finished it. But now you just re kindled my spirit for this.

Attached are a few pictures of my cab.

I am not a scholar when it comes to FORD but it is my MY # 1 Favorite Truck brand and Model Choice.

Looking through all my Ford reference material I can not find anything indicating the 317 was available in 1953,

I do find where the 317 was offered in 1954. I think the engine in the Ford C-cab will work and would not be considered unreasonable for your truck.

However, 1953 offered many different wheel and tire options for this truck- 22 x 7.5 inch wheels cast spoke or disc-- 20 x 7.5 inch rims and a two speed rear axle

10,000 pound max capacity, air brakes, overdrive tranny

Hey, Its a model so I dont like getting caught up in the details, I generally build to what I think looks good. but I do appreciate and respect your desire to be period correct.

I dabble in resin casting tires and wheels and have a few on ebay now.

My new wheel mastered for this truck is a period correct five bolt 10:00 20 soon to be cast in resin.

MVC-041S.jpg

MVC-018S.jpg

I have a 64 Ford F750 started ( resin ) and a 60 Ford 1/2 tow truck that I need to finish before I can get back to this one-

What type of body will you be putting on this truck?

I am not sure yet what to do with mine

It looks great- cant wait to see it finished

Craig

Looks like you are off to a good start. I have plans (someday) to do something similar using the 1950 Ford.

There was an older SA article on building a 1950 F-8. In the article the builder made a 337 ci starting with a Thunderbird engine block and using parts from various other sources.

Hi there,

thanks for the compliments.I´ve made some little progress on this one.Made a little bit of sanding and filling to the front end and also placed the stake bed of the AMT Ford C-Model stake truck to it.I´ll rework the wood on the bed with real wood.

f800bigjob013.jpg

f800bigjob014.jpg

f800bigjob015.jpg

f800bigjob016.jpg

Cheers,Chris