Model Cars Magazine Forum

Differences Between the '68 and 69 El Camino?

Can anyone explain the differences between the '68 AMT El Camino model and a '69 El Camino kit? I am thinking that these differences will include side marker lights and dash board.. how difficult would it be to turn a '68 into a '69 using the Modelhaus conversion kit? Or could the grille and front bumper from the AMT '69 Chevelle be used? I somehow doubt that it would be an easy and simple thing to accomplish - these things seldom are. But perhaps a word from the wise and the experienced .. Thanks in advance for your replies and help. :D:unsure:;)

You are pretty much correct on the differences. However, there is one huge difference in scales. The newer AMT 1968 El Camino is closer to 1:24 scale than the AMT 1969 Chevelle from the 1960's. IMHO, one would be better off starting with a Jimmy Flintstone 1970 or 1972 El Camino and grafting the 1969 Chevelle front clip to the resin body. Modelhaus used to cast the 1969 El Camino that was a repop of the original kit. I am fortunate to have one in my collection that will get built someday. Good luck with your project.

You are pretty much correct on the differences. However, there is one huge difference in scales. The newer AMT 1968 El Camino is closer to 1:24 scale than the AMT 1969 Chevelle from the 1960's. IMHO, one would be better off starting with a Jimmy Flintstone 1970 or 1972 El Camino and grafting the 1969 Chevelle front clip to the resin body. Modelhaus used to cast the 1969 El Camino that was a repop of the original kit. I am fortunate to have one in my collection that will get built someday. Good luck with your project.

I wonder why Modelhaus discontinued the model? Surely there would be a market for it yet today...

Since the models are covered, I'll cover the real cars. The major difference is the side moldings. The '68 had a molding that flowed off the corner of the grille, and continued down the side of the car. Majority of them with this molding had black painted rockers. '69 Got rid of the side moldings. '68 Had side marker lights with the engine callout, the '69 was just the lense, and the '68 had a mesh grille whereas the '69 had the split grille similar to the '70.

'68:

ff.jpg

'69:

june2004.jpg

Edited by YJIslander

Jordan;

Have to differ with you a few items:

Depending on what version you have depends on the trim. I had a '69 'Custom' model that did have the side trim and engine size on the front marker light.

http://flickr.com/gp...5512@N02/41f9K4

Not a very good example as far as 'show' quality, but it was fun.

Front bumper was different as far as the turn signal location and opening size.

There are a few differences between el Camino's and Chevelle's that many don't catch. The el Camino's used the wagon front fenders (figures) which were a little different shape than the Chevelle. Difference is at the break in the fender, Chevelle is a sharper break. Not so noticable unless you park them next to each other.

Sorry can't get the picture to post!

Edited by JT

• 6 years later...

Tail gate on 69 and later has lightsinthe tailgate but the 68 did not.  Easy to convert 69 and later back to 68 by  even on the real thing by simply putting patch over the light hole thus making the tailgate smooth.  Small but important difference. Have fun!!