Model Cars Magazine Forum

Enamel Question

chevypickup

Hi guys of MCM, how much time I have to wait for polish an enamel painted body?. I´m using TAMIYA polishing compound, these are the best? or I should use another kind of compound for enamel.

Thank!!!.

When you can no longer sense the smell of the paint,it is ready to polish out. Tamiya compounds are good,as are many others.How smooth is the paint?

If there is heavy orange peel,you may have to wet sand with polishing cloths or fine sandpaper.Is it a Metallic? You should clear coat it before polishing.

Hi Mike, thank for your reply. Yes I have heavy orange peel, and the paint is TESTORS´S Blue metallic 1539, should i use TAMIYA´S TS-13 Clear coat? What happen if I polish a metallic enamel paint with out the clear coat?

Another question Mike, I painted de boby like four days ago, can I apply de clear coat now, or I have to wait until the paint is fully dry?. Remember that pain is enamel.

Thank again for your advice.

Hi Mike, thank for your reply. Yes I have heavy orange peel, and the paint is TESTORS´S Blue metallic 1539, should i use TAMIYA´S TS-13 Clear coat? What happen if I polish a metallic enamel paint with out the clear coat?

Another question Mike, I painted de boby like four days ago, can I apply de clear coat now, or I have to wait until the paint is fully dry?. Remember that pain is enamel.

Thank again for your advice.

You should NOT use Tamiya Lacquer over the testor's enamel.You'll have to clear with Testor's enamel clear,Or they do have an enamel safe clear Lacquer,I checked and this is what you want.It does come in a aerosol.Still I'd test on something other than your model.Light coats here would be advisable.

http://www.ehobbies.com/tes1961.html

Thank for the warning. However, can I apply the appropriate clear coat right now (I painted 5 days ago), or I have to wait until the paint is fully dry.

Thank Again.

I suggest the "sniff"test.If you can detect an odor of solvent,it has not fully cured and you run a risk of the clear coat drying sooner than the base. This is why so many modelers either avoid enamels in spray cans,or use an airbrush to apply them. They may also have a dehydrator to speed the curing of this paint type.

Put the body in a conventional oven preheated to 100 degrees & bake for 8 hours .Works like a dehydrator.If you are skeptical put a styrene plastic spoon in the oven.Remember that all ovens are different heat wise so test it.I personally use a dehydrator set @105 degrees for eight hours when shooting enamel paints like Boyd's & Testers. You can buy a dehydrator @ Wal-Mart for forty bucks or less.You can cut the the paint after 24 hours & apply clear @ that time.Hope this helps.