Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Fine White primer VS. Tamiya Fine Grey Primer

Hey guys! I need some help. I normally use Duplicolor filler primer then wet sand that down and then I shoot Tamiya fine white primer before paint. What is the difference between the fine white and grey primers. Does one fill better than the other? or does one lay down smoother than the other??? I'd really appreciate some feedback about their differences and proper applications! thanks all, six

My question is why use Tamiya primer at all?

It's waaaay more expensive than Duplicolor, comes in a smaller can and does the same thing. You can spray LITERALLY anything over Duplicolor and their white and grey primers are most excellent. Look at my Mickey Thompson Funny car thread. Look how smooth that primer is. That's straight old Duplicolor. Not even their best one either. It's the lower priced Bright Beauty line.

I will not buy Tamiya primer as long as I can get Duplicolor in those big cans for 5.39 ea. Sometimes they are on sale for 3.99 to boot!

Bob

AND, Duplicolor paints go over it like a dream. When I get some AA batteries I'll post some pics of my Chi-Town Hustler build. I used GM Cayanne red metallic over Duplicolor white primer, then decaled it and shot clear in the same day! I know Tamiya can do that, but I did it cheaper and didn't have to worry about the HOT Tamiya clear coat. 2 coats of 1814 Testors enamel and I can buff it out tomorrow and I shot it Sat afternoon. The thing about enamel clearrcoat is that is really responds to polishing and actually "moves" a bit Even good sized dust boogers are destroyed buy the buff. Try it sometime over a dark laquer paint job and see for yourself. Over lighter colors it works well too. White, not so much, it will yellow over time.

Bob

Hey guys! I need some help. I normally use Duplicolor filler primer then wet sand that down and then I shoot Tamiya fine white primer before paint. What is the difference between the fine white and grey primers. Does one fill better than the other? or does one lay down smoother than the other??? I'd really appreciate some feedback about their differences and proper applications! thanks all, six

There is no difference between the two except for the color. Neither of the Tamiya primers are "filler" primers, so if you need one that has that property, stick with the Duplicolor. Tamiya makes another grey primer that is not "fine" but it still is not a "filler" primer. I'd rather not build up a heavy coat of filler primer and risk hiding details that Tamiya fine primer won't. BTW, regardless of the cost per can/ounce, Tamiya primers are all I use. :blink:

Do you have an airbrush? I so go get some Mr Hobby filler primer.You can concentrate it to certain areas and it doesn't go on that heavy and sands easily. You can sand it in about an hour or less. Food for thought Tamiya primer is great when used with Tamiya paint. I can't seem to get anything else to work with it though.

Do you have an airbrush? I so go get some Mr Hobby filler primer.You can concentrate it to certain areas and it doesn't go on that heavy and sands easily. You can sand it in about an hour or less. Food for thought Tamiya primer is great when used with Tamiya paint. I can't seem to get anything else to work with it though.

I've found Tamiya's bottle primer works beautifully under all paints. I have a bottle of the white primer I use for small parts and brighter colors. This stuff is great. I use Valspar, Plasti-Kote or Duplicolor for bodies and overall priming usually, but there are occasions where the Tamiya liquid primer is just what the doctor ordered.

I do plan on trying the Mr. Hobby sometime. The paints and the rest of the line are said to be out of this world.

Charlie Larkin

Food for thought Tamiya primer is great when used with Tamiya paint. I can't seem to get anything else to work with it though.

What paints have you had trouble with? I've used it under Testors lacquers, Pactra R/C lacquers and Black Gold/HOK paints thinned with Mr. Color thinner with no issues at all. I'm not sure it will work under hotter lacquer solvents but haven't tried it.

What paints have you had trouble with? I've used it under Testors lacquers, Pactra R/C lacquers and Black Gold/HOK paints thinned with Mr. Color thinner with no issues at all. I'm not sure it will work under hotter lacquer solvents but haven't tried it.

I have shot HoK over top with some not so good results. It could have been a few things though. Temp, humidity, or maybe not letting the primer set up enough before I shot the paint. Who knows could have been all three!

I don't want to highjack this thread with Testor's products, But so Far I have only used Model Masters White and Grey Primers, I can't afford the Tamiya just yet. And out of the Two Model Masters I like the White better, it seems to go on smoother and last allot longer in it's use than the Grey, I know what you all have said about the White being better for Lighter Colors but I use it still even with the Darker colors, it just seems to be a better primer. :lol: .

There is no difference between the two except for the color. Neither of the Tamiya primers are "filler" primers, so if you need one that has that property, stick with the Duplicolor. Tamiya makes another grey primer that is not "fine" but it still is not a "filler" primer. I'd rather not build up a heavy coat of filler primer and risk hiding details that Tamiya fine primer won't. BTW, regardless of the cost per can/ounce, Tamiya primers are all I use. B)

I think I'm going to stick with the Tamiya regardless of the cost. It ends up costing me more if I have to scrap a project, which has definetely happened. Then I'm out the cost of the kit and time let alone a bunch of frustration!