Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello. This is my first try at building a big rig. I started this model last year when recovering from surgery .

I really like all the work you guys do.

This is what i have started so for. I have the Italeri truck add on pack. so I will make a diamond plate headache rack and rails.

Comments and tips are always welcomed.

Thank you

DSC00376.jpg

DSC00374.jpg

DSC00377.jpg

DSC00375.jpg

Thank you

Looks good so far. Don't forget to paint the underside of the hood and fenders the matching green.

Tim

Thanks Tim. you are the master love all of your trucks your scaled shop and your website. Thanks Tim. I was wondering about that since its fiberglass. My uncle mentioned about stanless steel Fenders on the front Did Peterbilt have those?

The entire hood would be painted - underside and all.(see attached pic). On the aluminum hood models, there are sound deadening panels under the top of the hood and the fenders can have a plastic rock liner (matte black in color).

The polished aluminum fenders were on the special edition "379X" and looked really cool.

Tim

Thanks Tim. you are the master love all of your trucks your scaled shop and your website. Thanks Tim. I was wondering about that since its fiberglass. My uncle mentioned about stanless steel Fenders on the front Did Peterbilt have those?

post-4-015537200 1287091141_thumb.jpg

The entire hood would be painted - underside and all.(see attached pic). On the aluminum hood models, there are sound deadening panels under the top of the hood and the fenders can have a plastic rock liner (matte black in color).

The polished aluminum fenders were on the special edition "379X" and looked really cool.

Tim

Tim that truck kinda looks like a bj services rig with the blue frame and work lights

• 1 year later...

Sorry Bandit....Alpine green isn't even the correct color for that engine series........Most likely would be blue/gray color of the 60 series....could even get by with silver from the silver series 60...I'm just sayin'.................Matt

tamiya x18 is pretty close to the "green" its suppose to be!

sorry its not alpine green but its....DETROIT GREEN!

• 6 years later...

Just take your time with it and eventually everything will line up.
It might take some time, i had to fight the multipiece cab on my Ford for about 15-20 minutes before everything lined up good enough for me to slide in the interior in it and making it stable.
Then just set it aside and dont touch it for a while while the glue dries.

On the multipiece sleepers i have found it easier for me to start with the floorpan and the rearwall, after that the driver side wall and then put in the bed in (if it has one) it as it will keep those two walls straight.
Then you can mount the rest of the walls and lastly the roof.

The multipiece cabs and sleepers will always mess with you in one way or another..

1 hour ago, Scalper said:

ok guys... I know I have not worked on this one in a while.. the multi piece body is intimidating me..

any pointers before I jump back on her?

Try using some low tack masking tape like the 3M Blue Painters tape on the outside of the cab, just enough to hold things in place, and apply your CA or liquid cement from the inside of the cab. Don't install the interior just yet, if you plan it right you can slide the interior in after the glue is fully cured.

I build the cab around the floor(using floor as jig) with a few drops of glue on each side to hold it in place. Once then glue on the cab joints dry remove the floor with care. the tape idea sounds good too,,will try that next time.

1 hour ago, Scalper said:

ok guys... I know I have not worked on this one in a while.. the multi piece body is intimidating me..

any pointers before I jump back on her?

52 minutes ago, PierreR89 said:

Just take your time with it and eventually everything will line up.
It might take some time, i had to fight the multipiece cab on my Ford for about 15-20 minutes before everything lined up good enough for me to slide in the interior in it and making it stable.
Then just set it aside and dont touch it for a while while the glue dries.

On the multipiece sleepers i have found it easier for me to start with the floorpan and the rearwall, after that the driver side wall and then put in the bed in (if it has one) it as it will keep those two walls straight.
Then you can mount the rest of the walls and lastly the roof.

The multipiece cabs and sleepers will always mess with you in one way or another..