Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your favorite mold making product?

• 1 month later...

I can't say enough about how much I enjoy the knowledge base on this site.

I'm new to casting, so far I'm only working on masters and piecing together tools such as a vacuum chamber, vacuum pump and pressure pot and doing research. I've been going throught the Smooth-On Cats (for about 9 months) and trying to figure out what to go with for both mold making and resin.

So I started with this forum and came upon this thread. I don't want to re-ask what been asked, but I'd like if possible some more insight on your choices to go with these products.

I use Smooth-on with great success. I don't know what PMC 121/30 is but if you want a 1:1 mix go with the oomoo line. When I had the store I sold Smooth-on and a lot of model guys used the oomoo.

I use Mold Max 30 but you do need a gram scale for it. Oh, ya, I have never used mold release, these are silicone.

AzTom

I did try the Alumilite because it's available locally out here but I did not care for it. A lot of guys do use it.

Can I ask why was Mold Max 30 your choice and not one of the others in this line?

I have not tried Alumilite, but Use Smooth-on products everyday.

I like Smooth-on mold max series 10-30 and smooth-cast resins (300 305-320 321) and Task 5.

I used Oomoo but moved onto the mold max once I was doing production stuff. Oomoo is fragile silicone but works well for the hobbyist caster.

Same question why not Task 2 or 3 or even 6 or even Task 4 which is claimed to be good for "thin" castings? They all have a longer pot life then Task 5.

As a newbie I have many questions and concerns and want to limit my waste as much as possible. My goal is to do an entire kit in resin, saving my collectable kits while still being able to build them only out of resin.

Sorry if I'm being anal, just trying to cover all my basis.

Thanks for any advice.

LJ