Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help: Sandpaper

carchub

I'd suggest you get sandpaper, sanding pads, sanding sticks, and Micro-Mesh cloths in every grit available; that is, standard grit wet/dry paper from 150 to 2000 and Micro-Mesh from 1500 to 12000.

In my experience, however, some grits are more used than others. I very rarely use anything below 400 (that's 1500 in Micro-Mesh) and usually start with 600 (1800MM). If you aren't going to go for super-shiny high-gloss finishes, then you can probably dispense with upper range of the Micro-Mesh cloths and pads. Conversely, if you are doing lots of body work and customization, then you'll need the lower end grits (below 400).

Also, be aware that there are several different but common conventions for designating such abrasives.

Here's a link to a helpful grit conversion chart:

http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/conversion.htm

If you have a tight budget then at a minimum I'd suggest 600, 1000 and 1500, you should be able to find these at any decent hardware or autoparts store, a pack of each (3-5 sheets / pack) should run less than $20 and will last you through many models. 2000 grit can be harder to find but probably worth getting if you can find it.

A good plastic polish like Novus or Maguires Scratch X does a good job of buffing out the paint after you have used your finest sand paper.

That should provide you with a respectably smooth paint job. It won't be one of those mirror finish jobs some of these guys pull off, but still very nice.

I do use 240 and 400 grit but usually only for shaping, or removing really nasty sprue gates and other defects in the plastic.

Since you say you are a beginner, the Micro Mesh might be overkill for now.

You can find 2000 in the auto section at Wal-Mart. It's the finest I've found anywhere locally, including huge auto parts stores.

You may also want to pick up some swiss files, sometimes called hobby files, needle files or jeweler's files. I couldn't live without them. You can get cheap ones online, or if you have a Menard's they have a nice set for ~$7.

Edited by Mr. Show