Model Cars Magazine Forum

Relentless 32 Ford Coupe

Deckerz

Ok so starting a fresh project while im waiting for parts for my mustang, a 32 ford coupe i got from bill_rules, iv salvaged what i can from it so far which is the body, frame, front grill and other parts, it need to be stripped so i will do that soon. This is my first hotrod really, i need to build a new frame but i have no idea how or what thickness styrene i need to construct the frame. Iv done a little research by watching american hotrod and i know that roadsters have a longer hood/front end then coupes so i need to give it a longer hood, wondering why? Well before i got it i was thinking just to put the mustang gt engine in there but it didn't look that good in there, then i remembered....i have another engine that will look perfect in there......

003-12.jpg

004-9.jpg

Now the reason i have to make the nose longer is obviously because of the engine, the radiator will not fit in the engine bay unless its modified.

I usually plan a project before i start it like the paint, type of wheels ect but on this it was harder because i don't know what to expect, but i was looking at it while drinking a can of relentless and thought "that would look good" so if there is a clear brown i will try lay it on top of a chrome/white two tone so it should look abit like the cans design, then i will print off some relentless water slide decals for it.

As iv never built a frame, is it possible to build it so it will fit under the body unlike the stock frame in the pics??

Not much change as iv been kickboxing but iv got the engine mocked up straight now, on the last pics it was on a slant, and iv got the firewall mocked up too.

When i have marked the firewall with a blue line is where the engine will be raised too on the new chassis, then the tranny and oil pan will clear.

Im thinking, i might have to change the tunnel in the interior but the only problem with that is that there isn't much room for feet in the interior already so i can imagine how small it would be with a bigger tunnel.

005-7.jpg

006copy.jpg

I don't know what im going to do about headers, iv cut them down and they still do not want to fit so i will probaly have to find some from the SRT-10 kit if they will fit.....anybody know?

looks like a nice bash you got there

i would just go ahead and get a little rol of soldering tin and try my hand at scratchbuilding some headers

really,its not hard, you just drill a hole in the head and insert the solder

then just form it by hand and put it where it flows nicely

thanks for the tip man but iv never really been good at building headers from solder, its pretty easy with metal tubing but its just getting the tubing to bend thats the hardest bit.

So i changed the position of the engine to where it should be then did mesurements to give space between the radiator and drivebelts. Its not totally accurate yet because i haven't decided what radiator and fan to use yet but iv given enough room for what i plan to use.

The center of the front wheel is where the back of the grill will be just like the stock car, when i build the new frame it will be based on the stock chassis but the front end will be stretched which should make it look more like a roadster front end.

001-21.jpg

002-21.jpg

These wheels are not the ones im going to use, they are the type i want to use but the backs are slightly too wide, and the front are too skinny, other then that they are the right size for this car, i want it to have a slight aggresive stance once finished but first things first, strip and re paint the body.

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on the engine, iv glued on the new tranny for the engine, it looks rough because it is. It is all straight although it might not look it. While i was cutting the tranny from another engine the saw blade i was using snapped and caused it to slip, so i will have to add a thin bit of putty where the engine and tranny meet but it should look fine once its all done. The engine and tranny are going to be gloss or semi-gloss.

I will pick up some chrome paint at some point, the engine oil pan will be chrome to match the transmission pan, so will the headers with detailing and maybe the intake but i dont know yet. The rocker covers will matched to the engine but the viper writing on them will be yellow or orange or something, havn't decided yet. Anyway heres the engine upside down haha....

001-23.jpg

I forgot to cut the transmission mount off before gluing but it helped lining it up, i will cut it off once the glues dry.

As for the body its almost stripped, i got all the purple paint off and discovered it had silver paint under that but its almost done.

Looks like your off to a good start. Something I've done in the past was to section the frame near the fire wall and just add in the length you need. The new section could be sheet plastic or taken from something in the scrap box and blended into your existing piece.

Looks like your off to a good start. Something I've done in the past was to section the frame near the fire wall and just add in the length you need. The new section could be sheet plastic or taken from something in the scrap box and blended into your existing piece.

Thanks man, i was going to do that but after looking closer i will need a new frame :/ i am hoping to get a IFS from a 37 coupe kit because i hate the leaf springs, iv been told the willys frame will fit with slight modification and has the IFS so i could wither go with that or build my own custom frame.

Added putty to the trany and a light coat of primer to to show where i need to sand the putty, after all, what you can see in the pic of the engine is all going to be black, and surfaces for black need to be perfect, fair enough you will hardly see the trany or the bottom of the engine but i want it to look clean. I will not sand the primer on the engine though, it will look "true" if i don't sand it, but the body's primer will be sanded obviously.

001-24.jpg

002-23.jpg

Alright so today iv been focusing on the engine again, got the meeting point for the trany and engine sanded, now it looks like it was ment to be like this but i guess its better then a dodge trany anyway (been told they break eaisily in real life).

I used what i had left of tamiya gloss black, i was going to airbrush it but i didn't have enough so i thinned it down so its too thin for airbrush but too thick to be a wash, this is the engine after 2 coats of it brushed on.

001-25.jpg

I think it needs another coat or 2, then i will clear it.

The body is currently in the freezer because when i removed the back window it snapped and part of its still glued on the inside so i need to get the piece out for a new window, freezing it should make the glue brittle so it should just snap out (thats the plan).

BEFORE I FORGET, I AM IN NEED OF A SET OF NEW HEADERS FOR THIS ENGINE, I MUST HAVE ACCIDENTLY THROWN THE OTHER ONES AWAY :lol: