Model Cars Magazine Forum

side pipe help?

looking for help with how to make side pipes.i want to make the kind that are on the shelby cobra i am building a 1965 mustang convertable.i am useing 17 or 18 in style crages with spinners and the car is in ivory i want to make side pipes tat look like the black powder coated ones on the cobra.

honoustly, i dont like the looks of those sidepipes and ill tell you why: the collector is showing, it isnt a clean look

if i were to build them (or better, when i build them) i always put the collectors in the engine bay or under the frame so that all you see on the outside is a nice clean uniform pipe

as for how to build it , really the question is, how much of this are you scratch building ?

if you have a set of headers all you need is a nice piece of styrene tube or rod to make the pipes out of

if you are scratchbuilding the headers as well i would use solder for that, then use aluminum tube for the pipes and heatschrink tube for the collectors

if youre pretty artistic or at least patient you might be able to fabricate from the exhaust ports on the motor out to where the four pipes merge into one, using appropriate gauge solder. from there back i would use aluminum tubing that i polished to resemble chrome. it wont be easy but it can be done.

if you dont want to have the hood open, then you dont have to worry about hooking them to the motor. and im almost sure you can find a cobra kit and start with those pipes and adapt them to the mustang.

you might also try looking at replicas and miniatures of maryland resin aftermarket company and see if they have something there you can either use or at least use for a starting point.

now see if you want more of a traditional side pipe, commonly known as lake pipes, those are a lot easier to scratch build especially depending on the level of detail you want on the undercarriage.