Model Cars Magazine Forum

Covering red plastic

Hi My name is Steven G and I am getting ready to start a Italeri Peterbilt 377 kit but I have a question . What is the best way to cover the red plastic ? I want to paint it a light yellow. After a test on a scrap piece I found tamiya white primer turned pinkish.

Flatbed is right, the best way to cover red plastic, or other coloured plastic for that matter is tan,

and I have found that Tamiya Matt Desert yellow (X59) is better than most because it is slightly darker

The light tan is a neutral colour, and it does seal off the red, I use it as a primer, as the matt gives the top coat

something to bite into, I also air brush it on, so you can have a nice thin coat that won't hind the detail

you can also use shellac, but it is a little thicker, it is what the older guys used, before fancy paints,

mind you they didn't have red plastic either....

Here's what I do for colored plastic:

1). Light coat of primer.

2). Coat of BIN Primer/Sealer from Zinzer.

3). Coat of Duplicolor Sealer Primer.

4). Color.

5). Clear.

Follow the instructions for each product for cure times before applying the next layer.

The cab on this Pete below is from a red-plastic 377.

3576x6testdoorright120410.jpg

Tim

For those of you who've never tried it, Future (now called Pledge with Future Shine) is another alternative to sealing that nasty red or yellow plastic.

What's nice about it is if you mess up, simply spray some Windex, or some diluted ammonia, wash it off and start over. One would need an airbrush or a "sponge brush" to apply it though.

Here's an article on the web about Future and how easy it is to use. Just click here and see for yourself. I've used this in the past to seal the red plastic on Monogram's '56 T-bird and the results were great! ;)

Believe it or not, this '56 (actually converted to a '55) was once that horrible red plastic which is notorious to bleeding------especially from Monogram!

P7262547-vi.jpg

HTH!

Edited by MrObsessive

For those of you who've never tried it, Future (now called Pledge with Future Shine) is another alternative to sealing that nasty red or yellow plastic.

What's nice about it is if you mess up, simply spray some Windex, or some diluted ammonia, wash it off and start over. One would need an airbrush or a "sponge brush" to apply it though.

Here's an article on the web about Future and how easy it is to use. Just click here and see for yourself. I've used this in the past to seal the red plastic on Monogram's '56 T-bird and the results were great! :lol:

Believe it or not, this '56 (actually converted to a '55) was once that horrible red plastic which is notorious to bleeding------especially from Monogram!

P7262547-vi.jpg

HTH!

Painting over floor wax. I've got a igloo for sale in FLA. B)

Seen that article before but have not had the brass to try it. But it does work.

Thanks for the tips. I wish I knew b4 I primered my KW, with its orange plastic, but this will help with other kits. Any suggestions for black plastic, or will these paints work with those as well? I have some older Italeri kits with black plastic I want to paint. I'm mainly used to AMT's white or the really light gray that AMT/ERTL used.

When i built my renault magnum i had the same porblem, The white paint was pulling the red pigment through from teh plastic and turning it pink.

i was told to use a product called barcoat (SP), Its paint sealer we have here in the UK but its very think and would have easily lost the contours of the cab. After i re-primed teh shell i applied a couple of coats of clear laquer onto the primer to act as a sealer. Once dry i simple used a scotch pad to key the lacquer and painted the white top straight over that.

Never had a problem after that.