Model Cars Magazine Forum

help w/ scratches on body

Hey guys,

Just a quick questions, how do you all fix scratches on the body of your model? I was thinking sandpaper, but what grade would be good, i haven't primer it or anything like that, i just wet sanded it. The reason for the scratch is i was making the panel lines deeper, and well, i slipped and scratched a lil bit of the body, not a deep one but still noticalbe. Will it show through the final paint job and gloss??

Thanks,

Freddy B.

It will show...You will need a little filler, or you can use some CA with accelerator

400, 600, and 800 grit

This is what I do, too. Sometimes I use a small file to level the surface since CA glue is harder than plastic or resin.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

accelerator aka zip kicker is stuff you put on after the CA glue ("super glue") and it causes it to bond right away. makes using the CA a bit easier because you don't have to wait for it to "dry", the kicker makes it dry right now.

back to the scratches in the paint though...if they are just surface scratches on the paint don't be too eager to get the rough sandpaper out. get a polishing kit and use from about 5000 to 12,000 and achieve a mirror surface.

if it is worse and really deep kinda scratches, use the rougher grades but then finish with the polishing kit cloths. its amazing what they do.

jb