Model Cars Magazine Forum

what clear can i use over enamel?

made007

What did you thin the nail polish with? Lacquer thinner? If so, you could probably use something like Krylon Crystal Clear or Tamiya. Nail enamels are usually pretty hot, similar to auto body enamels. I've shot lots of things with nail polish thinned with lacquer thinner followed by lacquer clear coats. But....

DISCLAIMER: Test shoot on a junk piece to see how the nail polish & clear interact before spraying your model. You never know what mixing different brands will result in.

i have used tamiya spray clear, MM wet coat clear, krylon crystal clear, on tamiya acrylics and testor enamel, even on decals without any problem, just make sure the body color is completely dry, and each clear coat is very thin. except for 1 incident with krylon clear on tamiya acrylics which cracks the acrylic as i only let it dry for only a few days. and i use tamiya lacquer thinner to thin, i never thin the krylon clear. hope this help.

walmart has future, maybe target does too, but why use future if you have something better?

• 2 weeks later...

i have used tamiya spray clear, MM wet coat clear, krylon crystal clear, on tamiya acrylics and testor enamel, even on decals without any problem, just make sure the body color is completely dry, and each clear coat is very thin. except for 1 incident with krylon clear on tamiya acrylics which cracks the acrylic as i only let it dry for only a few days. and i use tamiya lacquer thinner to thin, i never thin the krylon clear. hope this help.

walmart has future, maybe target does too, but why use future if you have something better?

i work at walmart, and they dont have future here, also i had the same problem as you, krylon over tamiya craked the paint