Model Cars Magazine Forum

1995 Porsche 911 GT1 Test car

Mads

Hi guys!

So here is my first finished model in 2010 (and probably the only :lol: ). I've started this one a long time ago and tonight i finally found the time to sit down and do the last few details that it needed.

The reason why i chose to do this car in the first place was a long time favorite since i saw the episode of Top Gear (before it splitted into fifth gear and top gear as we know it) When Tiff drives the Test car of the 911 around Paul Richard circuit and tell about all the changes it has from the 911 993 model. Every thing has been reshaped, reinforced or re designed on this car, the front chassis is made from lightweight aluminum in hollow square bars and from the drivers feet and backwards the chassis is all carbon fiber. The engine has only the main housing of the cylinders left from the original 911, everything from the gearbox to the intake system has been redone. The rear suspension is all done in carbon fiber and light weight aluminum to get the strongest and most light weight suspension system Porsche has ever made. The brake discs are ceramic which in that time was a huge revolution since only the newer formula one cars had that kind of system.

I've always loved this kind of GT cars, where you take a car every one know and turn it into a full blown racing machine, but not so much you still can't see what car it is. Only a few kind of these cars are made, such as the Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR and the 911 GT1. These cars are representing an era of Le Mans racing that was truly amazing, but never got the potential to grow before FIA introduced new rules and changed everything.

On this Tamiya model I have been using a lot of goodies from Scale Motor Sport. The Carbon fiber pattens for both the test car body and the GT1 car in general, P/E set and P/E seatbelt hardware is also from Scale Motor Sports. A lot of wires from the spare part box has been used together with some styrene to bring the interior more into life. The exterior has a lot of details from the SMS P/E set but also an antenna from Hobby Design is used here to give the great Tamiya kit even more details.

For those of you who are thinking: "I would really want to build one of these but i don't think i have enough money/skills/time etc." then I just have to say: Take your time, if you rush it, you will ruin it, and there is no need to go detail crazy as i did, the Tamiya kit it selves looks great already. Im not the most skilled builder on this forum, and even though i've made a lot of mistakes on this one, i've really enjoyed building this one, because it's a race car that have a special place in my heart and trying to replicate a car that means something for you really motivates you to try your best and maybe also try new things to improve your skill.

IMG_9952800x600.jpg

IMG_9954800x600.jpg

IMG_9956800x600.jpg

IMG_9957800x600.jpg

IMG_9953800x600.jpg

IMG_9969800x600.jpg

IMG_9948800x600.jpg

IMG_9947800x600.jpg

IMG_9946800x600.jpg

IMG_9933800x600.jpg

IMG_9934800x600.jpg

IMG_9936800x600.jpg