Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rebuilding a Ferrari Testarossa Spider

The Creative Explorer

Now the Granny T is done, I've got the appetite for big-scale's back and this car has been looking at me for a long time.

I bought this already built 1/8 Pocher Testarossa Spider back in 2009 at an modelshow in Portland, Oregon. It was in a very sorry state, but complete. I decided to purchase it, since it has been a dream to own and built a Pocher for a long time, but this one finally came within budget.

When I got home to my wife's appartment in Portland (in 2009 my GF, now my wife living with me), I got quite dissappointed at the Pocher-kit. It was virtually a large die-cast that one needs to assemble himself. It also was very dirty and I gave it a small clean up in her appartment.

After my time was up, I took it on the plane with me home. (cheapest way, but a bit oncomfortable haha)

The idea is to rebuild this kit, improve it with a small budget and also perfect the many imperfections. I will build it as close to #62897 as possible, but will also give my own twist to it, when it comes to colors.

This is how the Spider looked like when I purchased it.

09amerika0041.jpg

When I came home to The Netherlands, I started to dissasemble the Ferrari

testarossaspider001.jpg

It is quite obvious that the car is quite simple for such a expensive kit.

testarossaspider002.jpg

testarossaspider003.jpg

testarossaspider004.jpg

testarossaspider005.jpg

Quickly my partsdrawer filled up with many parts

testarossaspider006.jpg

and the body starting to be cleared

testarossaspider007.jpg

A couple of picture's of the car's heart.

testarossaspider008.jpg

testarossaspider009.jpg

testarossaspider010.jpg

Then it is time for the Ferrari to get stripped butt-naked

testarossaspider011.jpg

Which I had to do the hard way, no matter how many times I asked the car to undress politely, it only stared point blank back

testarossaspider012.jpg

So I used paintremover, which did the job, but still was a hassle, the paint had a very good adhesion

testarossaspider013.jpg

And basically all the parts were stripped down. This is where the work stopped for me in 2009, after that, the car got into the archive

testarossaspider014.jpg

But I started a few days back on body work, First thing I want to do is to Eurolise the car, I will get rid of the side-markers

testarossaspider015.jpg

But also get rid of the molded in recesses for the badges, I hope by time to make my own photo-etch badges.

testarossaspider016.jpg

another thing I will try is to remove the metal behind the intake, to give it a more natural look.

testarossaspider017.jpg

The moldlines are there too, so I have to work on those as well

testarossaspider018.jpg

testarossaspider019.jpg

Thanks guys,

In essence, the detail is there, it has just been done simple. With some elbow grease, it must be possible to make this into a show-worthy car. I am not being able to buy those aftermarket stuff, but I do get the hang of scratchbuilding better and better. So I hope to learn some new tricks and techniques along this ride.

@Rodney, I think you are right, it does look cleaner in the picture than I thought it was. maybe it is the flash or I might already swept some paper-towels over it, I don't know. But fact is; the car was just so darn dirty.

I will tear up the engine completely, since the previous owner must had a paint-allergy, since there is no paint to discover at all. Most important is to bring the sandmold-structure in the build.

@Aaron; My thoughts exaclty, if I had such a expensive kit, I would make sure that I wouldn't let the cats come close or get is just so dirty. Next to the fact that I would've tried to detail the car a bit more.

On the other hand; it is now a nice project for me to give the car a second chance.