Model Cars Magazine Forum

for my friends, a reference page

http://scalerealism.com/truckdetails.htm

Thsi guy has scanned every page from every article of Detailing Model Trucks as found in Car Modeler magazine. I hope this will help some of you. This is where my CAT 3208 details came from. He also has, in its entirety, Phil Jensen's 1973 article on building a Holmes 750 wrecker from the AMT body and mounting it to an AMT Autocar A64B. I was missing a few artciles from this series, so this was a big help to me. I wanted to share this with all my new friends. Good luck. I hope there is some inspiration for you.

tide001.jpg

The article on detailing the Cat 3406A found in the Monogram snap kw and pete kits(as well as the currently reissued pete by revell) is missing, but I can post those pages as soon as I get access to a scanner. Also, the article on detailing the Cummins found in most AMT kits is missing its last page, but I can get you that one also. I copied every article and put them in a binder to keep with me in the truck, but this will allow me to save these onto a disk. on the site he says he always spilled something on the pages. I do that a lot myself, so I'm copying them into my comp. so much easier. i hope someone finds it useful. i sure did. 8) 8) 8)

Never mind!!! Sorry. The 3406 article is there. I read right past it. what a blunder!!!!!!!! the cummins page info was correct. after looking thru what I had, he is missing 2 trailer related articles. One is to convert the tri axle dump kit into a framelss dump, the other is to detail trailer air brake lines. I know many of you have these judging from the models I've seen here, but I hope newcomers, and people missing some of the articles can find what they need here.

this is an otherwise cool thing done at this website, but some of the links on the flatbed/dropdeck/lowboy articles are mixed up. Read carefully. all there minus the 48' spread axle. I have that article on paper. I will send him the corrctions/omissions as soon as I can get 2 a scanner.

Thanks for the info Ray. I had a look through the different projects. Some of the ideas are superb. That Autocar wrecker looks interesting, it look right, as if they were made for each other. I seem to be scratch building more and more these days, always looking to try and push myself and abilities that little bit further with each build, (Still a long long way to go). My first complete scratch build was the bottom dump trailer.

http://public.fotki.com/oldalbion/bottom-dump-trailer-/

3axlebottomdump009.jpg

I was a bit apprehensive at first but the result was Ok and gave me confidence to try other things on my later builds. This was loosly based on a General trailer unit. Check their Web site they have some dimensioned drawings and other usefull info.

http://www.generaltrailerparts.com/bellydmp.htm

With the high price of kits on E-bay and limited designs but good availability of aftermarket and scratch building parts, I'm thinking more and more these days to design my own equipment, particulaly trailers. One project that interests me is my own gooseneck Low boy trailer. But one thing at a time, back to the trailer for the Pete 351.

Most of my planned trailers will be from scratch. When I got to this site, that was the first thing I saw, and you had best believe I copied that QUICK!!!!! I run in Texas a lot, and I see these bottom dumpers EVERYWHERE!!! Also, you will see single axle double versions in the western states. A single axle tractor pulling a pair of these is a future project. I too am disappointed with the available trailers out there. I would like to see them stay available longer, so I don't have to stock up like a madman. By the way, I am VERY impressed with your model shown here. Nice work. My stepfather left a handful of his model railroad goodies behind to me, including his modeling tools, and all the trucks in 1/87th scale. i have 2 kits that i will "enlarge" to 1/24-1/25 scale. they include a 1983 Trailmobile Flatbed, and a 1998 Wilson grain trailer. These kits are by Lonestar models and Highly detailed given their small size. Lots of measuring to do. I could use a HO scale ruler. I hope to find one. I also want to reduce in size the 1/16 Monogram trailer, as it represents early 80s, rather than late 60s/early 70s. I will be scratchbuilding these 3, as well as the 2006 Utility Flatbed that I pull now. I just have to get out there and start measuring. I will post those measurements here in the 1:1 reference page eventually.

I will scratchbuild the 1/24 version of both of these later in the year. I just need to gather my Plastruct/evergreen plastic and other parts. I figured the scratchbuilt "enlargements" will diversify my collection.

DSC00002.jpg

It seems model railroaders get better selections of trucks than we do! Any slight change to the real thing, and they get a new kit in HO scale. I have one or two vans I may try as well, but the flatbed seems easier.

It's a grain hopper. According to the sheet it's a 1998 Wilson. I don't think it has the live floor, but it looks like the kind the has the doors you crank open with a landing gear crank. i noticed quite a few grain trailers have the landing gear type gear box by the two bottom doors that you crank open, but not sure. My stepfather bought these from Walthers(any model railroad stuff, and I mean anything, they have it), and he couldn't wait to show them to me. I also have a modern day livestock van in Ho scale that I would love to enlarge the measurements and build in 1/24. I think it's by lonestar. When I get home, I have another HO scale to 1/24 or 1/25 inspiration to work on. it's a set of 27' flatbed trailers with the fibergalss tomato bins on the decks. You will see these bins all over California in the fall when harvest time comes. the bins are removable, so you can use the trailers year round.

Ray,

I've been messing around with the idea of making a set of doubles that you see running around in the west as well. I have 2 of the old CF doubles and was thinking of doing something with them. I was going to see if there was enough material in the sides of the trailers to make a set of bottom dumps out of them. I still have the Freightliner single drive to go with it as well.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t121/ro..._photos/003.jpg

Something like this only with the old freightliner COE tricked out a little with twin straight pipes and twin breathers and maybe lowered a little bit.

Can't wait to see what you come up with as well!

the trucks of the western states have always been a fascination for me. You probably could make a set of grain, or bottom dumpers out of them. I see some of those that look like cut down freight boxes, and I know it has been done. Plenty of ABF/CF/Roadway/etc trailers out there for guys to cut up. The HO scale tomoato hauler I have is a black and red single axle Freightshaker cabover with a sleeper. That's how mine will be done, only, the paintjob will be like the boxart of the AMT early 70's issue of the white freightliner SD. If you remember, the pic showed a turquoise and white truck pulling doubles. I love that paint scheme. the bins should be easy to scratchbuild.

Johnny, Ray,

A pair of bottom dump trailers is a great idea. After scratch building my tri-axle trailer I have plans to scratch build a set of doubles from the 1960s 1970s. Maybe with a Pete 281 or an old needle nose Kenworth. haven't decided yet. I won't be starting just yet though, but you never know.

there's a german(I think) website called John's model truck depot. On there is a pretty nice build of a single axle bottom dump trailer, being pulled by a pete 251. It looks like the truck from Duel, with a single axle. It's a very nice build. he only just built the one trailer. I see those all over the place in California. If that's not the site, I downloaded the pix to study, although I wish I knew the measurements for the parts. All I know is it's a 27' trailer. The double trailer and truck-full trailer combinations of the western states are some of the trucks I think would make cool builds.

Ray,

Check the link below from the Ranco Trailer company.

http://www.generaltrailerparts.com/bellydmp.htm

Look at the menu on the left until you come to Ranco Line. Then just click on the required trailer. When the page opens with the photo go to the top where it says "click here for > DESCRIPTION of Set of Doubles". It shows general arrangement drawings of the trailers with overall dimensions. With a bit of imagination and artistic license it may be possible to produce a set of cool looking doubles.

Hope this helps!

Hi there,

when I builded my botton dump trailer some time back I first wanted to build a second trailer for it........but never made....I still have the drawings of it and maybe I´ll built a second one sometimes......

oldpete001.jpg

I think this one will be looking nice with a second trailer behind it.

Thanks for the link with the reference pictures etc.

Cheers,Chris

EaglePassNative, do you live in that pretty canyon in Colorado on I 70???? That is one of my absolute favorite spots to drive through. It's gorgeous, as for the trailers, I know that some real trailers of this type are built the very same way, by cutting down old freight vans. Makes a really cool display.

Hi there,

here is a link to the W.I.P of the truck and trailer from my Truckmodelling Homepage:

1954_351lw.htm

I think I have also a scan of my paperdrawing for that trailer.

I could mail it to you if you want.I´m always happy if some of my builds were used for inspiration.Thanks for looking and feel free to ask.