Model Cars Magazine Forum

HOW TO KEEP FROM LOSING -AN FITTINGS

If you use a lot of braided line with the appropriate size -an fittings and hate losing them, (at over a buck a piece, that ain't cheap!), you can kill two birds with one stone by storing them on the braided line itself. Once there on the braid, you won't loose them and they are ready to go when you need them. Just remember to alternate them when you put them on the braid. Hope this tip helps.

IMG_1286.jpg

Great tip!

What about other stuff? I work in a carpeted area, and when a little piece of PE hits the ground, it's usually history. I started some 1/43 projects, but spent too much time crawling around under my worktable. Nothing works like tweezers for propelling little parts into the stratosphere!

Since then I've learned to pick up stuff with a little Poster Tak turd on a toothpick. But dropping tiny parts is still a problem. Any more suggestions?

Edited by Ddms

On my last trip to Hobby Lobby, I was in their storage area and found little clear cups that screw together to form a 6 cup column. That make sense? Each cup is about 1 1/2" diameter and 1" tall. I think it was $1.99 or $2.99.

I also found bead crimps in sizes 1,2,3,4. I started using the #1 crimp for the ends of fuel lines and the #4 for radiator hose. They're much cheaper than the AN fittings and work fine for my purposes.

For things like throttle linkage and springs I like dental floss tied to or through the part and a foot long 'tail' hanging off. Can be used on most PE parts too. You can always see the floss on the floor or bench. Just snip off when the CA has set. The floss will go right through those AN fittings and make a storage loop too.

for finding photo etch that hits the carpet i take the vacuum cleaner put some pantyhose on the end of the tube and go over the area where the photo etch fell, works every time.

Cool idea, wish I'd thought of it back when women wore pantyhose. (Hoses?) I am told by a reliable authority that they are despised things of the past.

It's still a good idea, though. Just have to find some similar material.