Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any suggestions on how to replicate "weld bead" on

It is available, believe it or not, in photo-etch. I can't remember the company......but it was shown to me by a hobby shop manager......it is popular with the "armor" builders. I am at work......when I get home I will look at the package I have and post the company that makes it.

John

I did it in 1/8, but you could do the same in 1/25:

I masked both sides of the bead, then layed a thin strip of Squadron green putty down the open strip between them. Once you have it applied, carefully peel the tape away and use a hobby knife blade to layer in the "beads" of the weld, each "on top of" the last.

bigredrat7.jpg

The photo etch is made by a company in Poland called ABER. The actual package has a part number of R-06, it's called "Narrow Weld Lines". It is actually listed on the package as 1/35 scale........a common scale in military models, but it looks just right for car models, at least to me. I got mine at the "Great Escape" hobby shop in Spartanburg, SC.

John

Quite a few of you fellow members know that I use a wood burning tool for just about everything I do. For real when I "try fit" a part I tack weld it into place not only to check for fit but also to see if it just looks right. If I want to simulate a welded seam I just continue with the same method that I used to start with. My wood burning tool has a tip that looks like the bow of a boat ( the pointy end to you land lubbers ). Using the point only I can make like a pretty good arc weld. If the end result is too rough I take the smooth side of the tip and smooth the weld down a bit. This method is instant dry and tends to give you a strong seam at the same time.

bob