Model Cars Magazine Forum

Adding a Regulator to my Compressor

I have a 100gal CH compressor with a built in regulator. It acts a little strange from time to time. Over time it will drop from 25-30 to 20-15, not very fast..but enough that I'll notice it over extended airbrushing sessions. When I use my airbrush..the needle on the regulator will drop 10 or so psi then pop back up when I release the airbrush. Those things I can live with...but for low psi, like 5-10 when I'm using Alclad Chrome, nothing comes out. Would adding a separate regulator help? I was thinking I'd crank the compressor way up, then use the separate regulator to control the airflow. Would that work?

I have a 100gal CH compressor with a built in regulator. It acts a little strange from time to time. Over time it will drop from 25-30 to 20-15, not very fast..but enough that I'll notice it over extended airbrushing sessions. When I use my airbrush..the needle on the regulator will drop 10 or so psi then pop back up when I release the airbrush. Those things I can live with...but for low psi, like 5-10 when I'm using Alclad Chrome, nothing comes out. Would adding a separate regulator help? I was thinking I'd crank the compressor way up, then use the separate regulator to control the airflow. Would that work?

Sounds like water in the regulator or the guage. Noting you live a bit north...freezing could also be the issue. If the seals in the reg are bad you will get some leakage...a welding shop might be able to check it for you...if the shop hyrdo tests cylinders they should be able to check the reg for leakage

I personally would run another regulator on it. the compressor I have will go down to about 30 psi and if needed lower pressure would be hard to really maintain. I have a Delibiss Detail gun which is a Mini HPLV gravity fed gun that I will be hooking up a regular with guage right on the gun. I would also recommend that you put a moisure trap in the line. I would hook one hose up to your compressor instert moisture trap then hose out of moisture trap to your air brush/spray gun. Hope that helps

The pressure drop is due to the air line. The longer the line the more it will drop. What you should do is pull the trigger and watch the pressure, it will drop. Then set the pressure to what you want it to be. Then release the trigger. You will see the pressure go up. What you want is the working pressure to be whatever you set it to. Example: Pressure set to 25 psi. When you pull the trigger it drops to say 18 psi. Now while the trigger is pulled set it back to 25 psi. This is your working pressure at the gun. Dan