Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mini lathe / milling machine info?

I'm thinking about putting a lathe or milling machine on my list of tools to get. It's been a few years since my last big hobby purchase so I thought I'd start researching these as they seem to open up some neat modeling options.

First of all other than orientation of the work table (vertical vs horizontal), what is the difference between a milling machine and a lathe? At first I thought a milling machine was just a high quality drill press but after reading up a bit they appear to do similar work, just approaching it in different ways.

Looking at the more affordable lathes I found it odd that the Chinese made ones sold through Harbor freight and others look very much like the full size lathes I used in highschool shop class only hit with the shrink ray, while the two American built companies (Taig & Sherline) that seem to be preferred if you can spend the extra money look far more like home built Rube Goldberg creations.

Obviously with a tool like this you either discover you can do a lot more than you intended or they go on the bench and collect dust (hope not) but initially I think I would be looking at parts like emergency beacon bases, sirens (Art your Sireno was spectactular BTW) air horns, wheels, gun barrels etc if that makes a difference in the type of machine I should be looking at.

If I get one of these I want to make sure I get the right thing, I'm currently leaning towards one of the Taig or Sherline machines, just because it seems to me to be worth spending a bit more for what most info I have seen say is a better product even if it does look like a something whipped up in a garage.

Oh, also size, I would think the 7x10 would be adequate for most 1/25 scale items, but several reviews seemed to recommend going bigger, but don't really say what kind of stuff they are needing these larger lathes for.

I am very much in the initial investigation stages right now with any purchase likely being 6-12 months off. I had a little bit of exposure to lathes in highschool wood and metal shop classes the last of which were 25 years ago, so I'm basically a total newbie to this at this point.

Thanks for anything you can add.

A lathe gives you possibilities that just can not be done on a milling machine.

Turning rims is just one example.

Thanks, for the quick reply. That was my initial thought, but then reading about milling machines more I wasn't so sure, I was correct about that.

The Taig and Shurline lathes and milling machines are good quality machines that will last a long time.

The main thing to remember is that turrets, tool holders, collets, and other tooling that you will need are often priced out separately.

I myself would go with one as large as finances would allow. It is much better to have to much capacity than not enough.

Check this out http://www.micromark.com/Machine-Tools.html

Edited by DRG

Actually, that is not correct. I cut rims on my mill much of the time. I can also turn them on my lathe. And my wheel centers are done on the mill. With the proper additions a mill is very versatile. I can make more items on my mill that I can on my lathe. I have Sherline (correct spelling) equipment and recommend it.

I have both the Sherline Lathe and Milling machine, and I assure you they are very good quality machines. (In fact, they can even be upgraded to CNC with parts that are readily available from Sherline, and using your home computer.) I've had both since the early 90's. We bought the lathe first, as you will likely use it more often, for many things. We later added the milling machine to "compliment" the lathe. It is correct that you can turn rims on the lathe, but if you want spokes, or slots in them, you will need a mill. With a rotary table and index attachment on the milling machine, it would be possible to completely make rims on the mill. This kind of thing is the reason I got the Sherline machines..........attachments/tooling are very easy to find, and many times specialized for miniature machining, which is what I do for models.

Granted, these machines are smaller capacity.....but if your main intended use is for modelling, that may not be a bad thing. I would highly recommend the Sherline machines, but as posted by others here, your real expense will likely end up being in additional tooling after the fact, regardless of which you buy. Good luck, and looking forward to seeing the results! B)

Thanks, I'm still very much in the getting an idea of what I want stage. I've been poking about reading posts in some mini-lathe forums and such, but knew there were some here who have and use them.

I know the Taig and Sherline equipment is well thought of, my Rube Goldberg comment is simply regarding the appearance, not suggesting they are not quality. You can see all the parts in an almost cobbled together style while the cheaper machines look just like a tiny fullsize lathe, it just surprised me to see the difference.

Guest Markus355

really, its the other way around... mills are FAR more versatile machines. You can buy a rotary table for a mill to make square stuff round.... you cant make round stuff square with a lathe.

(machinist for a living by the way)

I have been a machinist for over 35 years and was taught the old school way.

Use a lathe for turning, a mill for milling.

Of course I'm talking about a bridgeprot Series two mill.