Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Fairlane

sak

My next prodject. !966 Fairlane, made by AMT I believe. So far not much done. Still waiting for the warmth to do airbrushing.

IMG_1238.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

The front sway bars and strut rods were molded into one big chunk of plastic on the frame so I carved it out and made new bars. Also I was bored so I made my own shock absorbers and added a few details to the leaf springs. My plan is to paint the body black and interior will be tamiya deck tan.

Jeff

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

Jeff, you'll love this kit, it goes together nicely with just a few minor flaws. One is the front spindles, the ride height will be nose-high if you don't modify them somehow. The other is getting the body to sit right over the front end, I still haven't figured out a good fix, but I think on my next one I'll trim the inner fenders, radiator support and firewall a bit to see if that helps.

Great work on the engine and front suspension so far, I can't wait to see some more of this baby! :P

Edited by Custom Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Bah !!! A new problem.

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

Is is just me or this engine seems to sit far too low and raising it will raise the tramsmission as well. Not right for the camshaft pulley to sit at the bottom of the radiator. No way the heads and manifolds will have room to fit as well. I suppose that explains why I had to carve out the sway bar to make the oilpan fit.

Edited by sak

Hey Jeff looking great buddy... youd be suprised how low an engine can look without everything in place in the older cars. They were always very roomy engine bays, unlike today where everythings sitting pretty high and you only have maybe an inch between intakes and hoods. I'd try and throw your carb and airfilter on top of your intake and see how it looks from there. And if it still looks low it looks like you do have a little wiggle room for your tranny to raise up some. Either way you go your gonna have some cussing going on with the header fitment cause of the way the suspension is on those things. Your inner fenderwells are boxed al the way up. Does any of that make sense? It makes sense in my head but... :D

• 1 month later...

Small update. After seeing the work of Randy D and John Tersi, I have lost motivation to even bother. Theyre work is a whole new level. But I know my limitations and I can never achieve what they can but I am still happy with my work I suppose.

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

why is there a colostomy bag attached to the firewall :)

great looking detail, i like it

That was FoMoCo's answer to a cheap windshield washer fluid reservoir.

I have a sweet spot for these cars. I love this build.

I am currently building a nostalgia themed drag car in 1:1 out of a 65 Comet.

You think the headers are difficult to fit on the model... try installing them on the real thing.

i just built a drag version of this kit and it was fun. i really like the extra details you are adding in and the paint detailing.

what do you have in mind for the upper shock mounts on the shock/spring towers? AMT kind of left that detail out :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah, Those parts are missing. But if I make anything it wont be anything complex. Don't know what I would use to make those three pronged supports. So it won't look stock. There isnt alot of space there either so it will have to pretty low profile so the hood closes. Just for note, they did not include side mirrors either not even a single drivers side.

Keep at it mate, this is going to be a really nice clean build.

I find that the best way to model is to never compare yourself to another, but to learn from your experiences and build on them. I'm proud of every model i have made, even though my paint almost always looks shocking, hence why i mostly build rat rods :lol:

I'll be watching this thread :)

It's looking real nice so far Jeff. I've built a couple of these myself and there is an issue with the inner fenders and firewall fitment. I think it might be better to glue the firewall and inner fenders to the body rather than the chassis. IIRC, the main issue is with the firewall. I used the shock tower pieces from the AMT '66 Nova on one of mine. Not correct,but better than nothing. I never have understood why this kit didn't come with any type of mirrors,not even a rearview. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Made some progress. Painted a base coat of plastickote black. I will try the technique of applying clearcoat directly to black primer. Not sure who invented this so I not trying to take credit for it. I bought a can of the dupont stuff Mr. Cranky uses. Always affraid to black colors so I expect some imperfections. Interior will now be krylon ivory. Any ideas for the carpet color. Black is probably what was used but I would like to use a light browny color. Perhaps the tamiya deck tan color that I was going to paint the vinyl interior.

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

Great work on the chrome trim around the seats Jeff, what did you use for that? I did mine with Detail Master Krome Foil, and still ended up with a few wrinkles at the corners, yours are beautifully smooth!

And as far as the Black Primer with Clear, I used that myself years ago before I figured out how to get a good black paint job, and it worked out great. I don't know who came up with it either, but I did mine back in2001, so it's been around a long time!

Earnhardt004-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Great work on the chrome trim around the seats Jeff, what did you use for that? I did mine with Detail Master Krome Foil, and still ended up with a few wrinkles at the corners, your are beautifully smooth!

And as far as the Black Primer with Clear, I used that myself years ago before I figured out how to get a good black paint job, and it worked out great. I don't know who came up with it either, but I did mine back in2001, so it's been around a long time!

Earnhardt004-vi.jpg

Thank you. I am surprised how well it turned out. I used alunimum foil for that. Three pieces, one for the top and sides are different pieces. The trick it to go slow. I first stick the foil to the top of the seat and slowly wrap it around the top corners with my fingers. But you have to make cuts in the corners on the excess part of the foil where it starts to fold. Then just take a toothpick and rub it into the edges gently and then cut all the excess foil off.