Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yellowed Paint

I have a Nascar model I did some 20 years ago with Testors rattle can enamels (including a clear coat). It's two-tone red/white, and the white is way past being white. Do I have to strip the car all the way down to bring the white back to being white, or is there a quicker (decal-preserving) fix?

Your clearcoat has yellowed. Testors clear enamel is well known for it's yellow tint, and will skew lighter colors. I'm afraid to the best of my knowledge you will have to remove the old paint and repaint. Use Future as your clear.

This is actually one car of a two-car set I built for my dad - the 1985 Budweiser Monte Carlo team cars. I found a place called Mike's Decals that actually has a set of powerslide decals for both cars, so i ordered them for the eventual restoration project. Of course, I could just go ahead and start with new kits, which might be a better idea so I don't have to fight with removing the old paint and glue...

• 2 weeks later...

i have to agree; refinishing a kit is a load of effort and you're constantly worrying about ruining it.... IMHO, leave the old builds as-is and enjoy them as early work. i have several old kits in Testor's white with clear that have gone "amber" and i let 'em be..... but i don't clear over white anymore.

Well, I've decided to just build new ones, but I can't leave the old ones alone. :(

I'm gonna turn one into a 4x4, and the other into a pro-stock. The benefit is that I get some spare parts, and I get to do some scratch-building. I think I'll call the 4x4 a "Monster Carlo".