Model Cars Magazine Forum

? '60 Chevy Panel Truck Transkit ?

A few years back there was someone that made a Transkit for the AMT '60 Chevy Fleetside Pickup that turned it into a Panel Truck. I've done the Google thing and so far hit nodda. Anyone know who it is/was and if it's still available?

Ed

A few years back there was someone that made a Transkit for the AMT '60 Chevy Fleetside Pickup that turned it into a Panel Truck. I've done the Google thing and so far hit nodda. Anyone know who it is/was and if it's still available?

Ed

Saw that last night...let me look

Ray Parsons does an early '60's'panel but it will take a lot of work. All American Models used to do something similar, but that was a long time ago in a land far,far away. It looked fairly accurate,but was a REALLY thick casting ( as were most castings done in that time period) I have started a master of one,but have hit some snags doing the rear panels. Now that I think about it,Ray's and Art's may be '65's which share 75% of the '60 sheet metal,more or less.........'Z'

Ray Parsons does an early '60's'panel but it will take a lot of work. All American Models used to do something similar, but that was a long time ago in a land far,far away. It looked fairly accurate,but was a REALLY thick casting ( as were most castings done in that time period) I have started a master of one,but have hit some snags doing the rear panels. Now that I think about it,Ray's and Art's may be '65's which share 75% of the '60 sheet metal,more or less.........'Z'

The R&R (Parsons) resin was advertised as a '64, but it is a generic 60's panel ... there were no meaningful differences in the bodies from 1960 through 1966 ... [The only visual differences year to year were hood configuration, grilles, and trim details.]

The R&R casting does not come with grille or hood ~ you need those from your donor kit ~ so it works for any year '60 through '66.

The biggest issue with the R&R casting is that the rear roof overhang (above the rear doors) is greatly exaggerated and inaccurate. It will take a lot of work to make it conform to the actual vehicle's contours and appear anything like the real thing. I have had an R&R casting for years and have never attempted to build it, primarily for this reason and secondarily because mine was so badly warped when I received it - just more work to correct the roof than I cared to tackle on a warped body.

I'm guessing the R&R casting is a copy of the AAM (All American Models) casting, but I don't know that for certain. AAM has been out of production for years and years, and I've never had one to compare. But, it has been common for R&R to copy other resin casters.

Hope this helps.

;)

I have both the AAM and the R&R; there are quite a few differances. I was hoping to combine the best of both,but after considerable thought, decided it would maybe be better to start from scratch with the Revell truck kit. I just recently found some good pics of the rear end of the truck,which had been holding up my progress for quite some time. Too many other masters to finish, personal life, health reasons, and a wife who believes I spend ENTIRELY TOO MUCH TIME at the hobby bench.....Same problems you all have,I'm sure....'Z'

Go Get'em Mike. Wishin' you EVERY Success !

Ed

I was close......I thought of R&Rs '64...not 60....as Danno noted above

.....as I was looking at Jimmy Flintstones sedan delivery for the Impala kit

as I just built a 60 Impala and am working on a 65 stepside now......old brain fade :):DB)

• 1 year later...

Hi, I think I might be the one who bought the panel truck model your asking about... I bought it from a gentleman that made one back in the 70's in flint Michigan in his shop ( he was a die and cast maker ) the person he made it for never picked it up... I just happend to sumble onto it a few years back and found his mailing info... well luck was on my side he still had it and was willing to sell it after all these years. it took two truck models to complete as the panel was just the shell and interior... minus seats dash no hood. I had to cut one of the frames and stretch it a bit behind the rear axle so I could put the bumper on it actually there was a lot of cutting the other two models to make this complete.