Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to restore a damaged orginal MPC '69 Charger

I've been collecting MPC '68-69 Chargers lately. I took a chance on an auction a few weeks ago and got this trio for $10.

3chargers-vi.jpg

The one in the middle is an original '69 annual. Underneath what looked to be FIVE BOTTLES :roll: of brush applied Testors blue paint, here's what I had.

100_1113-vi.jpg

But the rear end didn't look too hot.

100_1114-vi.jpg

What's a modeler to do? Make a mold box on the rear clip of a good '69 Charger.

100_1116-vi.jpg

Pour some RTV.

100_1117-vi.jpg

Remove mold, dust with talcum powder, pour in resin, let cure and remove part. The damaged portion of the original body has been removed with a razor saw and is shown at the bottom of the picture below the new part.

100_1118-vi.jpg

Stay tuned while I attach the new rear clip and finish the body work. Isn't model building fun!!!

Hi Marc, Gotta question, other than the rear clip. The model came out very clean. what did you strip the paint with? also Ive seen your other posts of your models. very,very nice work. Its like you have been doing this for a while, but I get the impression that you are between 25 to 29 years old. Im not asking you to tell your age but are you over or under 30. just curious. keep up the good work and post pics often.

thanks Ron.

Hi Marc, Gotta question, other than the rear clip. The model came out very clean. what did you strip the paint with? also Ive seen your other posts of your models. very,very nice work. Its like you have been doing this for a while, but I get the impression that you are between 25 to 29 years old. Im not asking you to tell your age but are you over or under 30. just curious. keep up the good work and post pics often.

thanks Ron.

Thanks for your comments, Ron. I stripped this one with Super Clean. It works the best on good old Testors enamel.

As for the age comment, how did you know that I'll be 47 on the 17th? I built models from the age of 7-16, then started back into the hobby in 1995. Got serious about it when my lovely Wife let me have part of our 4th bedroom for a workspace. As of December 2006, I now have the whole room. I'm not a prolific model builder, but I have lots of fun!!!

Wow Mark Thanks for posting this, I have a few bodies that I have been wanting to do this with!! :D I would like to start casting a few things as well, would you be generous enough to share the name of the Mold RTV and Resin you use??

Micro Mark is what I use. I recommend their starter kit as it comes with almost everything you need to start casting resin.

Hello Marc, Wow you sound alot like me I just turned 49 on March 8. I've been back into modeling since about 95 although I was mostly collecting models not building because my schedule was brutal. Work, kids in H.S. home, now that its calm around here I have the time to get serious about building now. I just am amazed at how you take those baterd and beatin models and turn them into show pieces.

Take care and Happy Easter to you and your family.

Ron.

P.S. I've heard that Castrol super clean is no longer sold in Calif. Just my luck. :D:D

I'm not a prolific model builder, but I have lots of fun!!!

Yes, you are and yes, you do seem to have quite a bit of fun with it!

Nice little bit of casting work... saves all that cleanup/reshaping time and effort I see others do!

Hmmm... 47... Not quite there yet, myself... give it a few more months. :shock:

BTW, Your Models really stand out in the MCM Texas shootout coverage!

Guest zebm1
P.S. I've heard that Castrol super clean is no longer sold in Calif. Just my luck. :(:(

According to my guy over at NAPA, they sell a Purple plastic bottle with a purple liquid in it, that removes paint just like CSC. In fact, my guy says it comes in cases with tha name Castrol on tha box, but tha bottles just say..."Super Clean". It works just like CSC, smells tha same, does tha same. :wink:

zeb

According to my guy over at NAPA, they sell a Purple plastic bottle with a purple liquid in it, that removes paint just like CSC. In fact, my guy says it comes in cases with tha name Castrol on tha box, but tha bottles just say..."Super Clean". It works just like CSC, smells tha same, does tha same. :wink:

zeb

Same here in Oklahoma...just bought a new bottle at Wally World and it only says "Super Clean". No Castrol, same purple pond water.

Nice job of casting! I'm working on making a 61 International Harvestor B.C.150 grain truck from scratch. No model around even close to it. Lotsa measuring and lotsa pictures. I'm also floating some real thin glass and making real glass windows, although I have about ten other projects I need to do for my big Diorama. So far I'm still collecting the very specific cars I need. I liked what I saw re: the charger rearend. I can always use pointers! I love modelling. just need to get the collecting of those specific cars out of the way. I now have a 65 wildcat on the way which took me a decade to find. Apparently only made in 65--They changed the mold. Soon I'll have lots of pics, but bear with me. :D

zeb

It's now called Super Clean because Castrol sold the cleaner formula to another company which is called Super Clean Brands. Best places to find it is at hardware and auto parts stores.