Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan/AMT '69 Road Runner - FINALLY!

Bluzboy66

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Thanks guys. That's what's great about this Forum........up until now, most of my models just sat in a display case in my clubroom, or worse yet, in the boxes after they were finished. Most of my friends and family just aren't into model cars, and can't understand what goes into building. But YOU guys on the other hand.......YOU guys are just as sick as I am! And that's a good thing! Thanks to Cruz (fellow Baltimorian), for turning me on to the MCMF.

Looking forward to meeting some of you at the Mid-Atlantic NNL in Towson, Maryland on May 12th.

Mike

Mike,

First, that is one really nice build of one of my favorite Road Runner body styles!! EXCELLENT!!

Second, I agree fully with your comments regarding the forum, friends and family members. My wife just chuckles when she see me sitting for hours working on a model that will eventually find a place in my overcrowded display cases...

Keep up the GREAT work and the posts!!

Regards,

• 1 month later...

Wow, can't believe it's been this long since I posted the pics of the Road Runner. Sorry for now replying to some of the more recent posts sooner. Thanks for all the kind words, but I'm immediately humbled when I see the photos of the projects you guys are working on. Y'all got some skills!

I did want to reply to the question about the custom bent exhaust. The aluminum tubing and flatwound bass guitar string bending technique is so simple, you won't believe it......

I buy my aluminum tubing at my LHS, namely Overlea Hobbies here in Baltimore. "Flatwound" bass guitar strings are available at any well-stocked guitar/music store. I get mine from Guitar Center. You can also search eBay. Don't pay a lot for the strings, GO CHEAP (they can be PRICEY!), you're only going to be bending them up anyway. I keep old strings when I restring a customer's bass (I'm a guitar repairman - www.myspace.com/bluzboy66 for pics). Bass strings come in all different types, but the FLATwounds work best since they are smooth on the outside surface, and slide out of the aluminum tubing pretty easy as you work.

Choose the properly sized aluminum tubing for your application, and then slide an appropriately sized bass guitar string into the tubing. Use a Sharpie to mark the bass string so that you'll know how much you're sliding into the tube, and when to stop. As you make a bend in the tubing, the bass string will keep the tubing from collapsing. As you make a bend, double check your work to make sure your exhaust is taking on the proper shape and things are lining up OK. Pull the bass string out of the tubing as you work, ESPECIALLY with tight bends......the string can get trapped in the tubing.

Once you have your tubing bent into roughly the shape you need, you can fine tune it if you're very careful. The tubing wants to collapse as you try and make a tight bend, so be careful.

If you guys need photos of this procedure, shoot me a line. I'll work up a little photo tutorial showing how simple it is. Oh!, and don't forget to use some metal polish to bring your new exhaust up to a nice 'stainless steel-like' shine.....if that's the look you're going for.

Mike

Edited by Bluzboy66

Beautiful build. Color and detail are great. I've never seen a Johan Roadrunner look this good. Makes me want to take mine out and give it a try. Keep up the great work. ts.jpg

I highly recommend it! Do yourself a favor and grab an AMT '68 RR as well. You'll need it for everything but the body, chrome and glass. The Johan kit has the perfect proportions and body detail, but the chassis and interior are very weak. I'm actually looking forward to building another one......only, this time it'll be more of a 'factory stock' build.......maybe even with a 440+6! I think the recent re-release of the '74 GTX/Road Runner comes with a 440. I guess I better start looking for a proper '69 RR Six Pack hood. Anyone know of a source, resin or otherwise?? Seems like it would be easy enough to scratchbuild.....

Mike

Hi Mike. I just received a resin 440 6 BBL hood I won on ebay. It is very clean and cast in white. The only thing missing are the hood pins. No big deal. Also Keith marks makes a 68-70 Roadrunner decal sheet with the hood 440 6 BBL decals on it. Hope this helps. Don. ts.jpg