Model Cars Magazine Forum

I was going through some models....

I bought 30 boxes of parts and parts cars (badly built but can definitely see a progression in the models) at a local auction and while going through it I found some interesting things.

Hotwheels cars

photographs

christmas and birthday cards

pogs - if anyone remembers those

homework from 4th grade

unopen bag of Doritos - My girlfriend dared me to eat them but I so far have declined

But the coolest thing I have found so far...

copies of auto trader pages with phone numbers, addresses and thank you cards. The kid who must have been around 8 would look through the auto trader for 1:1 versions of models. He would then call and set up a time to visit and go take photos. Then come back and write thank you cards to the car owners. I saw that and it made me smile. Think about what would be going through the mind of some middle aged guy trying to sell his hot rod/muscle car for whatever reason when a kid calls you wanting to take photos. And what about the kid calling these guys. At that age I don't think I would have been that brave around strangers. The kid even got some letters back from the car owners about how polite he was and them wanting photos when he is done building. I wonder if he ever showed anyone what he built. He was a huge Mopar fan as most of the cars and things are mopars but then again the mid-late 90's was full of Mopar reissues.

I am not even half way through the boxes but I am already glad I bought the models just finding this stuff was worth the money.

I bought 30 boxes of parts and parts cars (badly built but can definitely see a progression in the models) at a local auction and while going through it I found some interesting things.

Hotwheels cars

photographs

christmas and birthday cards

pogs - if anyone remembers those

homework from 4th grade

unopen bag of Doritos - My girlfriend dared me to eat them but I so far have declined

But the coolest thing I have found so far...

copies of auto trader pages with phone numbers, addresses and thank you cards. The kid who must have been around 8 would look through the auto trader for 1:1 versions of models. He would then call and set up a time to visit and go take photos. Then come back and write thank you cards to the car owners. I saw that and it made me smile. Think about what would be going through the mind of some middle aged guy trying to sell his hot rod/muscle car for whatever reason when a kid calls you wanting to take photos. And what about the kid calling these guys. At that age I don't think I would have been that brave around strangers. The kid even got some letters back from the car owners about how polite he was and them wanting photos when he is done building. I wonder if he ever showed anyone what he built. He was a huge Mopar fan as most of the cars and things are mopars but then again the mid-late 90's was full of Mopar reissues.

I am not even half way through the boxes but I am already glad I bought the models just finding this stuff was worth the money.

Interesting...That is Really Cool..Thanks for sharing...The kid sure had a great thing going for him..for some reason i can imagine him with his own nice 1:1 Mopar..Right from the '70's :lol:

years ago, i came across some 16mm film of a local high schools football team, they were shot in the mid 60s to the mids 70s. i called the school and talked to several people and not one of em was interested. i finally waited till football season, drove across town to the school. i found the football coach told him what i had and he nearly broke down. turns out his dad was the coach back then. he and i both were fairly peeved when we found out nobody i had talked to told him about my phone calls. i just hope he was able to find a 16mm projector...

years ago, i came across some 16mm film of a local high schools football team, they were shot in the mid 60s to the mids 70s. i called the school and talked to several people and not one of em was interested. i finally waited till football season, drove across town to the school. i found the football coach told him what i had and he nearly broke down. turns out his dad was the coach back then. he and i both were fairly peeved when we found out nobody i had talked to told him about my phone calls. i just hope he was able to find a 16mm projector...

Good For You...It is people just like you 'jeffb' that make a difference..Hat's off to you...Cheers..

Well guys I did some homework on the models and found out that the kid and his parents along with his sister and three pets died in a house fire. The models were part of the estate and came from one of two storage units the family had. Guess not every story can have a happy ending.

Well guys I did some homework on the models and found out that the kid and his parents along with his sister and three pets died in a house fire. The models were part of the estate and came from one of two storage units the family had. Guess not every story can have a happy ending.

Oh man - that is SO sad.. I felt the air leave my lungs when I read that... It's tragic and were I in your situation, I'd be real uncomfortable having those personal items. DOn't get me wrong - I am just saying how I think that I would feel and that;s just me. I am not implying or suggesting anything. I know that I would treasure those items even though I did not know the youngster - but just out of respect for him and his family. I always find it so demoralizing when I see where someone has passed away and the family comes in with a dumpster and most of the person's belongings go straight to the landfill. There was a case in our area where the elderly neighbor of someone I knew passed away and the family even threw the furniture ( all decent and useable - it wasn't filthy or dirty or junk ) into a huge dumpster - emptied the house out, sold it, took the money and that was it. I asked myself if that was all that deceased person's life was worth.. to me, that was just plain disrespectful. Had they given the stuff to a charity orpeople in need, that would have been no where near as bad but to just chuck everything??? *sighs* :lol: I just don't get it, I guess. ANyways, at least with you, a part of that young life will live on - and that's good.

I can imagine how you feel, reading that was a bit of a fist in the gut for me....

I wouldn't be a bit uncomfortable having those items in my possesion. They made their way to you, a fellow modeler, for a reason. They were part of someones life, maybe all that's left to remember that person by. I'd put the magazines and letters and such somewhere safe, with a note telling others their story and for now, just let things ride 'til the mood strike you to do something else... Maybe someday build a Mopar Drag car with his name over the door as driver. Just something little to commemorate things... Just my $.02, because I'm a sentimental old fool... :)

Edited by Wagoneer81

Now that is sad.

I would think now more than ever that some relative would appreciate those items.

AzTom