Model Cars Magazine Forum

Painting Cars 1/32 scale to 1:1scale

Hello to all..Has anybody ever painted a Car / Truck with a paint roller?..I have a neighbor across the street from me who applys Rustolem Enamel Paint (Black) with a Paint roller...then sands the paint with 600#grit and then applys another coat.. he has at this time 7 layers of the paint on the truck...I ask him why??? and he say's this is popular..and a lot of shops paint Cars /Trucks this way...I have never heard of such a thing.

Judging by the looks of the Truck..painted with a Paint Roller...This is the funniest thing i have ever seen..

Has anybody ever heard of using a paint roller?

I have seen Paint Brushed cars...Spray Bombs..Anymore???

Personally, if I went into a paintshop and they were using a roller on a vehicle, I'd run the other direction... I have never heard of professionals using a paint roller unless they were applying bedliner... but I have seen the end result in amatuer applications and I agree, it is funny!

I did know of a guy, about 20 years ago that painted his '68 Camaro with the same nasty blue paint that he used on his house. He used tha same brush too... :)

Edited by Wagoneer81

i think i've met a guy once who did a woodgrain on his car...not just one panel but the whole thing....he mighta used a roller

a buddy of mine also did his car with a roller but that was a 300 dollar duster (not the cool 70s one, the 90s one)

I have NEVER heard of a shop using a roller paint job. Every couple of years though Hot Rod magazine does an article on how to roller paint your car and I wouldn't doubt that has made a few people think it is more widely used than it is.

I think this guy has been breathing too many fumes, he's Sheening hardcore. WINNING!

That could be the problem...for i have been smelling Mineral Spirts and Enamel Paint from across the street for 3 weeks now!

it really is sad..he really has been trying to paint his truck (nice 4+4)well needs paint :)I have offerd to help him..Gee here it is 10:00pm and dark out side and there he is painting in the dark with this Paint Roller...It is so Darn Funny...but on the other hand i Really Feel Sorry for the Guy...he puts the paint on, then the next day sands the paint almost off then puts another coat of paint on he really needs help...are just put down the roller...he a Nice Guy..But i just believe you cannot get a quality paint job with this roller routine...

Wish i afford to haul his truck off to a paint shop in the middle of the night..and get it painted for him..for the truck looks like when i painted my first model kits with a paint brush...

Hello to all..Has anybody ever painted a Car / Truck with a paint roller?..I have a neighbor across the street from me who applys Rustolem Enamel Paint (Black) with a Paint roller...then sands the paint with 600#grit and then applys another coat.. he has at this time 7 layers of the paint on the truck...I ask him why??? and he say's this is popular..and a lot of shops paint Cars /Trucks this way...I have never heard of such a thing.

Judging by the looks of the Truck..painted with a Paint Roller...This is the funniest thing i have ever seen..

Has anybody ever heard of using a paint roller?

I have seen Paint Brushed cars...Spray Bombs..Anymore???

Maybe if his name is Billy Bob and lives back in the hills somewhere!!...LOL

A few years ago either Hot Rod Magazine or Car Craft had a multi page article on painting a Ford Falcon with a roller. I came out pretty good - but you need to let it dry - which takes days and days. That and you have to be really good with wet-sanding and a buffer. Do some web searches - it is popular.

I've seen cars painted with spray bombs that looked pretty good. Spray bomb camo jobs are popular here - lots of hunters.

I would also be very fearful of a professional shop using a roller when they have all the resources to thin what-ever paint they are using and spraying it in their paint booth. Maaco and Earl Sheib is more professional!

I have wondered about using Rust-oleum thinned with lacquer thinner sprayed with an airbrush to paint black model parts. I'm fearful of paint build-up and the fact that it is oil-based. I would like to find straight enamel (not oil-based) or straight lacquer.

http://www.hotrod.co..._job/index.html

For the past couple of years a rumor has been circulating around the Internet that there is a way to paint your car using common enamel paint and-get this-a roller, and end up with a car that's as slick as a traditional spray job. After a good full-body cringe, our curiosity took over and we began digging around to find out more about the legend of the roller paint job. The search eventually led us back to a post on the Moparts.com (www.moparts.com) message board that had been on going for a year and a half with over 100 pages. Basically the story goes that common Rust-Oleum (or Tremclad in Canada), when thinned to an extreme, can be applied to a car with high-density foam rollers, and after several layers, a few sessions of wet-sanding, and some quality time with a high-speed buffer, the final result is a very presentable paint job with a tiny monetary investment. We read the whole post and it still sounded like little more than urban legend-but a few guys had posted photos of their excellent results and it made us reconsider. Could it actually be true? There was only one way to find out, so we selected a victim from the dozen or so cars loitering behind the HOT ROD shop and prepared to put the theory to the test.

As you will see here, it works. The end result blows the minds of anyone who sees the car, and you'd never guess in a million years that it was painted with Rust-Oleum, a roller, and a few spray cans. Be advised, however, that there was plenty of elbow grease used on this project. Any paint job, even the high-end type that comes out of a gun and paint booth, requires loads of pre-prep to get the body straight and a considerable amount of post-paint work to color-sand and buff the paint to its highest gloss. This method is no different-but man, you can't beat the price.

I DON"T BELIEVE IT !!!!!!!...sure looks good!!

hrdp_0707_10_z+1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job+applying_the_paint.jpg

hrdp_0707_32_z+1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job+completed_side_view.jpg

hrdp_0707_33_z+1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job+completed_side_view.jpg

Edited by MIKE THE MANIAC

That could be the problem...for i have been smelling Mineral Spirts and Enamel Paint from across the street for 3 weeks now!

it really is sad..he really has been trying to paint his truck (nice 4+4)well needs paint :)I have offerd to help him..Gee here it is 10:00pm and dark out side and there he is painting in the dark with this Paint Roller...It is so Darn Funny...but on the other hand i Really Feel Sorry for the Guy...he puts the paint on, then the next day sands the paint almost off then puts another coat of paint on he really needs help...are just put down the roller...he a Nice Guy..But i just believe you cannot get a quality paint job with this roller routine...

Wish i afford to haul his truck off to a paint shop in the middle of the night..and get it painted for him..for the truck looks like when i painted my first model kits with a paint brush...

Sounds like a Job for Chip Foose.

http://www.hotrod.co..._job/index.html

For the past couple of years a rumor has been circulating around the Internet that there is a way to paint your car using common enamel paint and-get this-a roller, and end up with a car that's as slick as a traditional spray job. After a good full-body cringe, our curiosity took over and we began digging around to find out more about the legend of the roller paint job. The search eventually led us back to a post on the Moparts.com (www.moparts.com) message board that had been on going for a year and a half with over 100 pages. Basically the story goes that common Rust-Oleum (or Tremclad in Canada), when thinned to an extreme, can be applied to a car with high-density foam rollers, and after several layers, a few sessions of wet-sanding, and some quality time with a high-speed buffer, the final result is a very presentable paint job with a tiny monetary investment. We read the whole post and it still sounded like little more than urban legend-but a few guys had posted photos of their excellent results and it made us reconsider. Could it actually be true? There was only one way to find out, so we selected a victim from the dozen or so cars loitering behind the HOT ROD shop and prepared to put the theory to the test.

As you will see here, it works. The end result blows the minds of anyone who sees the car, and you'd never guess in a million years that it was painted with Rust-Oleum, a roller, and a few spray cans. Be advised, however, that there was plenty of elbow grease used on this project. Any paint job, even the high-end type that comes out of a gun and paint booth, requires loads of pre-prep to get the body straight and a considerable amount of post-paint work to color-sand and buff the paint to its highest gloss. This method is no different-but man, you can't beat the price.

I DON"T BELIEVE IT !!!!!!!...sure looks good!!

hrdp_0707_10_z+1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job+applying_the_paint.jpg

hrdp_0707_32_z+1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job+completed_side_view.jpg

hrdp_0707_33_z+1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job+completed_side_view.jpg

Well...That was most interesting...I guess i would have to say that "YES" One could get stellar results painting with the roller...But i have to ask why spend all that Time and Trouble..well at least in this case..for he has been at it for almost 4weeks...Just went over and talked to him..and well i must say it looks alot better..But Still?..

Just seems to me prep the truck /car and get a Paint Gun..and Spray (Paint) the darn thing in just hours and Be DONE :rolleyes:

Well...That was most interesting...I guess i would have to say that "YES" One could get stellar results painting with the roller...But i have to ask why spend all that Time and Trouble..well at least in this case..for he has been at it for almost 4weeks...Just went over and talked to him..and well i must say it looks alot better..But Still?..

Just seems to me prep the truck /car and get a Paint Gun..and Spray (Paint) the darn thing in just hours and Be DONE B)

To paraphrase the great Burt Reynolds:

For the challenge, the money(or lack there-of), and for the fun.

Or - He just wanted to. Imagine the conversations he'll have with people!

What are the laws regarding spraying a full sized car at home in your area? I know it is kinda frowned upon here in my neck of suburbia - but people do it anyway. Is his house attached to his garage? Spraying - and the fumes - could strain the best of relationships. I wanna spray - but can't due to my garage being under the kids' bedrooms. Over spray becomes a big problem also. My former employer had to pay for buffing or full paint jobs when the spray booth wasn't closed properly while spraying a fire truck. DuPont Imron is really stubborn - it sticks to everything!

I know I would try to find a booth or rent space in someone elses - if I really needed to paint a 1:1 car.

Edited by seeker589