Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine paint tip

After searching all over to get the correct paint for my 1:1 chrysler 361ci. An old timer who I trust more then most told me I was making it to hard. He said just go to the tractor supply and grab a can of detroit desiel engine paint. I did and by golly it's almost a spot on match. No more searching the endless array of paints at the local hobby shops.

I'm painting both a 1:1 and a 1/25. I know it says green but it sprayed terquoise. I even had my gf miss "thats not yellow it's called sunrise" agree that it matched the old paint pretty good but I got to thinking the paint is probably not something u want to use on scale engines. It is a high temp paint and I think would be to hot for them? Don't quote me on that.

I'm painting both a 1:1 and a 1/25. I know it says green but it sprayed terquoise. I even had my gf miss "thats not yellow it's called sunrise" agree that it matched the old paint pretty good but I got to thinking the paint is probably not something u want to use on scale engines. It is a high temp paint and I think would be to hot for them? Don't quote me on that.

If you use a laquer primer, no problem. I have used High temp Daytona Yellow engine paint many times, no problems.

• 2 months later...

so you are painting the 1:1 engine or a scale engine?

when did Chrysler paint thier engine's green?

Here's a chart showing Chrylser engine colors from '60 through '73 http://www.turbinecar.com/misc/enginecolor.htm. And here is a shot of the color itself from Summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4120752

It's not really a "green", but more of a turquoise or teal color. It is readily available. I got mine from the local TSC. I've also shot it right out of the can on bare plastic without any problems.