Model Cars Magazine Forum

'72 cutlass/442 detail

71drolds

since i own a 1:1 car like this, i get particular about the details. one thing that i havent seen anybody do right yet, is the paint around the headlight bezels. while the kit has the whole grill/headlight/bumper piece in chrome, the area between the headlights and the bumper and the headlights and the grills should be body color like this.

040.jpg

doing it this way really adds some depth to the front end and keeps it from looking like one molded piece.

also, if your doing a '71, the headlight bezels should be all chrome. if its a '72, they should have flat or matte black insets. this is true wiether its a cutlass or a 442.

i just thought with the popularity of this kit, some of you might want to know this.

• 4 weeks later...

These are a couple of great tips. I didn't notice the black and silver differences in grille between the '71 and '72 before your post.

But could you tell me more about the source for your grille?

I'm looking to buy a conversion from Modelhaus, but they offer both a Grille "Insert" and the full Grille with bumper peice. Do you know anything about the "Insert"? Do you know if it's a fairly simple modification to cut out the Revell 'eggcrate' '72 Cutlass portion and attach the deepdish-like 442 Grille?

Or would I need to create a deep-dish-like border for a flat insert?

MIke

======================================

These are a couple of great tips. I didn't notice the black and silver differences in grille between the '71 and '72 before your post.

But could you tell me more about the source for your grille?

I'm looking to buy a conversion from Modelhaus, but they offer both a Grille "Insert" and the full Grille with bumper peice. Do you know anything about the "Insert"? Do you know if it's a fairly simple modification to cut out the Revell 'eggcrate' '72 Cutlass portion and attach the deepdish-like 442 Grille?

Or would I need to create a deep-dish-like border for a flat insert?

MIke

======================================

You will need the grille and insert from the Modelhaus. I removed the grill trim from the resin bumper, and put the same part on the plastic piece, detail painted the grille insert and grill trim, and I was there. Works the same for '71 or '72.

Thanks for the reply, Ron. I'm ordering the '72 442 grille "Insert" to modify the kit's Cutlass grill. I also noticed that to make it more correct is to attach the top border of the grill to the hood. I might try that too.

But now you drove me to another question. Where or how did you get the coupe top to convert the convertible body like the Hurst you have pictured? I've been wanting to do that conversion too.

MIke

=========================

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will the Jo-Han 70 Grill fit the Rev 72 body??

I want to do a 70 Old 442/W30 convertible, but Do Not feel like modifying

the Jo-Han coupe body to do it.

Are the head light buckets suppose to be separate from the grill on the 70 like they are on the 71/2??

If so, I could even use the 72's lights with the grill of the 70!

if this is a good idea, all i will need are good pictures of, or a place to get a 70 442/Cutlass convertible interior.

Side panels, seats, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing a comparison study of the two kits also. It looks like the '72 body WOULD make a good donor for a '70 convertible. the bumoer profiles appear to be the same with some very minor filing to make the two kits work together.

The front of the hoods or completely different so you need to use the '70 hood with the '70 grill

The tail ight openings are also different, so you need to use the '70 rear bumper too.

I don't know if you noticed, but there would be a lot of modification needed to the quarter panels to make the Johan '70 442 hardtop into a convertible. There's a lot more to it then just chopping off the top. That's why the '72 makes a perfect candidate for a '70 Oldsmobile convertible.

I'm curently waiting for some parts from the Modelhaus. Since I want to make a '70 Pace car out of the '72 body, I orgered a '71 grill for the johan '70.

I hope this helps, MIke

========================================

• 1 month later...