Model Cars Magazine Forum

1920's Fire Engine Build Up New Pics 5/5

Started this one up the other night as something to do to get a break from DML :shock: instructions . Figure what better way to take a break from instructions, than to do something with out them.

With this one I am not really going off any plans or anything like aside from a vision in my head. Basically just piled up what ever I have to build something out of and started to make it look like a fire truck. Here's what I have so far.

What I started out with .

1920s_pumper001.jpg

This is where the OOB ends. This is all from the AMT Beverly Hillbillies kit.

1920s_pumper003.jpg

First thing I added was to spruce up the grill. Took some mesh and sprayed it with brass Metalizer.

1920s_pumper007.jpg

Add in some non slip surfaces, some half round strip on the edges of the cab where I cut it apart.

1920s_pumper012.jpg

Tonight I added mesh grills on the side of the hood, hinges,filled in the sides of the seat,cut out the seat back and added trim, decals and painted and chromed the non slip areas.

1920s_pumper020.jpg

1920s_pumper018.jpg

1920s_pumper021.jpg

Comments welcome as always.

Thanks guys. No more pics right now, started scratch building an old style mechanical siren and have more time in it than the rest of the truck, and not sure if it is going to make the cut yet either.

As far as hose, not sure quite yet. Shoe lace is an option as I have done in the past but I am still working on finding something that looks even more realistic. Hose is probably one of the bigger challenges to me with finding something that just hits it perfectly.

Jumped on building the body tonight. had a few hours to spare and came up with this one out of the wild blue yonder. Was mainly doing it to do a tutorial on building a basic body so was just basically putting different techniques together but it works for the truck so it will have a home. Took more pics of the build up of the body than the finished result but won't post those unless anyone is interested.

1920s_pumper023.jpg

1920s_pumper024.jpg

1920s_pumper025.jpg

1920s_pumper027.jpg

1920s_pumper028.jpg

Only other thing I did was install the new high headlight bracket. The handle looking things are there because it needed something to reinforce the corners. But all fire trucks needs somewhere to tie a rope off to right?

1920s_pumper026.jpg

Comments welcome.