Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help with PE parts

Im no expert on pe (the only pe I have used was from the revell midget) but I used supeglue on the tip of a toothpick, and to cut it off of the tree I put a piece of tape on the back side (to keep it from flying away) and just used a number 11 exacto blade and cut it off. hope that helps.

Edited by sobpinstriping

If the PE parts are on a tree, you should stick the whole tree down on some blue Painters tape so that the part doesn't go flying when you cut it from the sprue. Then lay the Parts down on your cutting board with the tape between the parts and the board, and gently cut the parts from the tree, with a fresh sharp #11 Blade. For larger PE parts use a set of thin bladed spure cutters, make sure the cutting edges of the cutter have no nicks in them and that they are sharp. Zuron makes a set of sprue cutters that are made for working with PE.

Some PE Parts come mounted on a sticky surface, and not attached to a sprue. These you just slide a Knife blade under and gently lift the part off, being careful not to bend it or drop it.

On larger PE parts I like to use slow drying super glue. For Emblems I use Gloss enamel when fixing them to Gloss painted surfaces, and DullKote on matte finished areas, Semi Gloss on Semi Gloss.

Testers clear Parts Cement will sometimes lose it's hold on PE after a year or two, so I don't recommend it for PE.

Any painting or polishing of PE Parts is easier while it is still attached to it's holder.

CHEERS!

Tom

Edited by Tom Setzer