Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65-'66 Galaxie- NASCAR?

the recent reissue '66 and '65 have generic Nascar parts in them; the '66 has simplified front suspension but better chassis plate IMHO; the '65 has an opening trunk and a separate trunk floor. both have convertible interior tubs and need some work to change to standard hardtop tubs. neither will build an accurate Grand National without widening/flaring the fenders and lots of careful trim removal. the teardrop hood is in both kits but was never a nascar item. they WILL build into convincing enough shelf sitters if you can deal with the little stuff ( I can deal with lots of quirks myself). personally, i'd chuck the kit roll cage and seat and source them from something better or scratchbuild them.

I think the Modelhaus makes the Holman-Moody wheels for those.

I'd shun the body mods to make them accurate though. The teams botched the body panels together at certain angles, so the cars aquired a slight wedge shape. This is obvious even to the untrained eye. The Junior Johnson built '66 'Yellow Banana' for Fred Lorenzen is certainly the most infamous of them.

Also, the AMT 66 Galaxie comes with the 7-Litre type grille, whereas all NASCAR teams used the standard Galaxie grille.

Edited by Junkman

i've used model railroad handrail ( i forget which brand and style, it just looked right) in stainless steel PE to replace the 7litre grille on the replica i did of my own '66 Galaxie 500... the 7litre grille can be scribed out of the surround with patience. the trunk emblem is another can or worms; the 7litre emblem is fussier around the center than the standard style. i replaced the bucket seats, console, and rear seats with standard bench seats as well, but darned if i can recall what kit those came out of. i do recall that there are molded-in front fender spacers on top of the front wheelwells that ought to be shortened somewhat to help get the front end down, although 90% of the '66's i've seen sit tail-down naturally.