Model Cars Magazine Forum

OK, this is especially for Brian (Camaro73) just down the road in Big "D", TX. The story goes like this;about ten years ago I bought a Freightliner DD and a moving van trailer to follow it. I decided to build a DROM box on the frame (before I even knew they were called that :D ) and I had not too far from that time frame purchased this GMC. For get MOMMA there quick moving power, I pulled the Detroit 8V from the GMC and put it in the Shaker. Unfortunely at this point the Shaker is in pcs. from storage damage (one of the few downfalls of the military).

041.jpg

037.jpg

Fast forward to the not too distant past.........decided to work on the Ford Louiville. Turn it into a heavier set-up by throwing the GMC tandems underneath it. (It is currently one of my WIP)

GMCAstro95010.jpg

Now the good stuff. What am I to do with a normal aspirated Cummins with an air box from the Shaker and a single axle from the Ford.......hhhmmmmmmmm........... :blink: Took my GMC and hacked the frame, will leave the cab full size for an over the road pup hauler, (recently acquired those too :D ) have stripped all extra moldings on the frame for air filter placement and such due to the original air tube to the air box from the Shaker. Had to change crossmembers and lower the front motor mount for the engine height diff. Also going to use the muffler and pipes from Revell KW W900. Probably lots more there but take a look and let me know what you think. I needed to add a little more detail if you have already looked......... I shortened the distance between the main rear springs and the over loads due to the frame height diff between the FORD and the GMC, added the over load snubbers, (just cut em off the FORD frame) and replaced the straight I-beam looking cross member just behind the motor with a curved one from scrap bin for tranny clearance.

The forum says too many pics. Gonna have to split it up. Final pics in next set.

Edited by txdieseldog

Second run. :rolleyes:

Pic#1 the GMC frame next to an original from my new Chevy Titan 90. ;)

GMCAstro95003.jpg

Pic#2 is mock up of the modified GMC.

GMCAstro95005.jpg

And Pic#3 is a comparison of the two GM frames against my WIP MACK Cruiseliner with DROM tank.

GMCAstro95001.jpg

Enjoy guys. Let me know what you think.

Edited by txdieseldog

Thanks Brian. I'm going for yellow on the cab. Been seeing tons of "Central Transport" exterior post trailers going up and down I-20 in both pup or 53'. I checked their web site and havent seen any COE but its just a good combo.

That is the idea about modeling. You can build it how ever you want.

Thats what makes it fun! :D

It is going to look great. Can't wait to see it finished.

Heck Bob, its only a pup puller. Thats why I did it that way. If I was pullin a big flat bed I would leave the Detroit. What gets me is the fact that the Freight Shaker and all the work you see them doing........thats its motor. Normally aspirated cummins. I dont see how those rigs can get out of a wet paper bag. :blink:

Heck Bob, its only a pup puller. Thats why I did it that way. If I was pullin a big flat bed I would leave the Detroit. What gets me is the fact that the Freight Shaker and all the work you see them doing........thats its motor. Normally aspirated cummins. I dont see how those rigs can get out of a wet paper bag. :blink:

You're so right! I would have seen a nice Detroit V12 with the dual air snorkels in those Freightliner kits, Why didn't they think of that? Anyway I was kidding about the Astro, it's gonna look pretty funky this way. And besides, most of them get built with the kit engine, so the more to ya, Barry! For all I'm concerned, you could even fit some 5 hole bud wheels under that thing and it would be even more fleet looking!

Thanks guys, the problem right now, however, is I currently have at least 4 WIP going and a deadline for one being in the contest I posted a thread for many moons ago. My "Top the Cop" contest. I think I only mentioned it here. It got more coverage on the auto side. Somehow I talked 8 teenagers into building semis this go round. A correction: COWBOYSEVENS (Dennis) My brain had name mixed up. It said "Highway" and that is Matt. Sorry for the mix up guys. Dennis sent me some Revells and local donors bought the rest. That is my other chassis WIP. Needs to be finished in about 2 weeks, but I rrrreeeeaaallllyyyyy want to get this GMC farther along. Wish me luck. BTW heres my "Top the Cop" entry. KW W900.

GMCAstro95007.jpg

GMCAstro95009.jpg

Edited by txdieseldog