Model Cars Magazine Forum

A MOST POST-APOCALYPSE 2012 TO YOU TOO

ok... I couldn't wait... I went ahead and got my build into a rolling chassis so I could try to imagine what I wanted to build... it will be a curbside hack and build.. won't be pretty.. probably won't turn out half decent.. but at least it's practice on a kit I didn't care for..

I bought a vw bus to use.. I wanted the aoshima lifted 4-runner .. I started to use my aoshima lifted hilux... then I kept staring at this... I picked it up for the deathrace build that fizzled along with my building interests.. so here is it..

stolen pic - Zvnatz1qa3gCeT0.jpg

like I said it won't be pretty.. I hacked up the inner optional wheels and plastiwelded them to the hilux swampers.. then used drilled out spoon ends (that I used to practice painting) to make the suspension..

it's a lot more even than it looks in the pics..

117ad50c.jpg

I'm getting anxious lol..

Post-apoc Community build? I've had a wild idea bouncing around upstairs for some time now... I. Am. In! I've wanted to build a large assault vehicle using only parts and material that I have at hand, just like one would do after civilization falls. Nothing will be bought for my build. I've been going through my 'Junkyard'... parts boxes and bins and such. So far, I have dug up a 12v71 Detroit diesel, a heavy duty Front-Drive axle and transfer case, a 55,000# 72" spread Hendrickson tandem suspension for the rear and 10, 22"x14" flotation-style wheels and tires... I'm thinking of fabbing an 18" frame, an Oshkosh-style cab and making it a crazy-big weapons platform... Add in some scavenged 'exotic' weapons and power systems from an 'Area-51-ish' type of installation cobbled together with earthly technology to make them functional... <_<-_-:rolleyes: It's just a thought...

Edited by Wagoneer81

I finally started mine. 1986 Chevy El Camino with a mortar sticking out the window. Here's what I have done so far.

I chopped the tailgate off.

DSC02964.jpg

I cut a hole in the window for the mortar.

DSC02965.jpg

It should fit like this.

DSC02966.jpg

These are the two kits I'm using.

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02967.jpg

I've been wanting to participate in something like this even though, I know I'm no match to the talent here. Count me in just for fun. Maybe a VW with a solar battery. No guns for me. I know, that's weak, maybe one hand grenade and some metal wheels. This could be fun.

Edited by vw guy

I dont have any guns laying around either, I was thinking this was more of a armored/survival type thing anyway ? Not vehicle against vehicle.

I think we can go about this in different ways. When z-day comes, we'll need vehicles to meet a variety of purposes; search-and-rescue, offense, defense, recon...

I'm considering current vehicles that we have now, and what modifications they will need to survive the apocalypse. What would a z-day firetruck look like? A delivery truck? What about a traveling merchant (those always seem to pop up in zombie movies).

I think we can go about this in different ways. When z-day comes, we'll need vehicles to meet a variety of purposes; search-and-rescue, offense, defense, recon...

I'm considering current vehicles that we have now, and what modifications they will need to survive the apocalypse. What would a z-day firetruck look like? A delivery truck? What about a traveling merchant (those always seem to pop up in zombie movies).

Dude!!!! "A twinky truck, pull over for a second"

Doctor Cranky is BACK, you CRANKYHEADS! Delighted to start the 2012 building season by getting back to this. Unfortunately, I have to announce we cannot have it as a contest on the forum, but it will have to be through the COMMUNITY BUILD, and I could probably host it through my YOUTUBE channel (the contest part) but that means that everyone will have to contribute a video and pictures.

I'm still thinking about the details, besides be still have plenty of time before the world ends by the Solstice in December! (Just kidding, for those of you below the age of 10, the world is not really going to end!) :lol: :lol: :lol: