Model Cars Magazine Forum

Couple newbie questions..

Posted this in the general section, but was recommended to post it in here as well...

Looked around, used the search functions and found some stuff.. but not everything. Just going to ask them all here to get more opinions..

I'm looking at building an 1/8 model from scratch. Sounds stupid, I know.. but I'm one of those guys thats just has to go big the first time.

Going to be using styrene as it appears it will be easier to work with, even though it'll be more flexible. Seems like a lot of people are using 3/16" for the frame, is that a good size? I presume glue is what attaches the rods together.. what kind is the best? Bend by heating up or would I need a pipe bender?

I'm also trying to find a place that sells the styrene rod in larger sections.. seems on the internet it's 10" or 12". Didn't see any craft stores carry it in my area, haven't searched for hobby shops yet.

Thanks and looking forward to joining you all..

You might also consider using brass tubing on a 1/8 scale build, too. It'll be a bit heavier in the end, but it's sturdier than styrene, can hold more weight without flexing, and if you practice your soldering, can rival the look of a 1:1 welded metal frame.

What are you building, if I may ask?

From what I can see, the styrene companies are located overseas. 10" rods wouldn't be to bad the more I think about it.. chances are slim I would use a full rod anyways.

I'm thinking the plastic will be easier to work with? Not to mention a lot cheaper? Correct me if I'm wrong.. I would love to do it with brass tubing, but cost and ease are my primary concerns.

Looking at building a Daytona Prototype. Love those cars. Not sure how it'll work out since there are no kits, but I'm going to give it a hell of a shot.