Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 scale British pub scene

GTMust

I have a lot of British 1/32 scale models of Rolls Royces, MG's, Jaguars, etc. and I figure the driver's need some liquid refreshment occasionally!

Now that my western 1900's town is almost complete and I'm waiting for the mailman to bring me the stryrene 2nd floor railings, I decided to get started on a 1/32 scale British pub scene. (Idle hands.... and all that.....)

I cruised the Google "search" to look for guidance and this one caught my eye. As you can see, it's a beautifully built model (built by a very talented builder whose name I can't find, so unfortunately, I can't give him credit here). It's not a real building, but it is just what I was looking for. I'm going to use this for guidance, with some minor "tweaks" of my own, and some simplification of detail. I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws!

1_32_Scale_Model_English_Cottages_Pub.jpg

This building is timeless and could could fit into British scene of any era from the 1700's to the present day. So here's a start. Basic wall structure is built from Elmer's 3/16" Foam Board; basswood and balsa strips for the timber framing, and Elmer's white school glue to hold it together.

pub+start+1.jpg

pub+start+2.jpg

Tony

This is definitely a test of my patience!

I've got the timbers and a couple of windows on the main building installed and painted...

timbers+painted.jpg

pub+windows.jpg

I started painting between the timbers, but decided to start on the right side building instead....... to give me a break from all that detail work!

right+side++building+1.jpg

ground+level.jpg

right+side+building+2.jpg

Getting the roofs to line up was a challenge.......!

roof+joint.jpg

Another interesting challenge on this building is trying to get it to look like the stucture is sagging with time without it looking like I didn't build it square! I think I overdid the main floor of the right side buildiing and I'll straighten it a little........ next time I get to the workbench.

More when my eyes re-focus.......!

Another afternoon at the workbench and I've got the remaining main building windows installed and painted between the timbers......... I've also got the timber framing completed on the right side building and painted them.

timbers+and+pub+wall+painted.jpg

............. more to come

Jim.......... The stone comes from Model Builders Supply. They are here in Ontario but ship to the US. "Google" their web site and you should find it easily. I would guess it's a fairly common product available from most hobby supply companies (maybe Plastrut?) I use two sided tape to attach it to the Foam board as the white glue won't work on styrene and stryrene cement destroys the Foam Core board. I think someone on this board gave me that idea........

Thanks for the support guys.

Jim.... you could also check out the Evergreen sheets...... they may have something similar.

Yes we know what can happen with shipments from Canada to the US. Did those wheels ever arrive?

Another happy afternoon of "pubbing it"........ and it's coming along.

I've got the right side building framed and painted, and added a door. Now I have to complete the windows and then I can move on to the left side building. (Must remember to add the chimney!) I've also added a door to the main building. The side of the building has a thin coat of drywall compound added before painting to create a "troweled" plastered wall finish. I've also added a door to the main building and completed the eaves at the roof.

BC+angle.jpg

So..... what will it look like when I add some vehicles?

I can't wait to find out.........

Traffic+4.jpg

I was planning on finishing the windows on the right side building (which I shall now refer to as Building 'C') before moving on to the left side building (which I shall now refer to as building 'A'). I'll also refer to the main building as Building 'B'..... so from left to right, it will be 'A', 'B' and 'C'. (i know, it sounds a liitle silly, but I'm tired of typing "Left side building, left side wall", etc.!). But, instead of completing the wndows, I decided to start on Building 'A', as I wanted to challenge myself to the brick/timber construction of the wall.

First, I cut out the wall from a sheet of Foam Board and cut the openings for the door and window. I then glued the timbers in place on the wall and painted them. While that was drying, I cut panels of brick from a brick colored, molded styrene sheet that I obtained from my local hobby shop. I used double sided tape to hold each panel in place and then gave the "bricks" a wash of diluted black acrylic paint. When it's dry I'll "scrape" the face of the bricks with some coarse sandpaper and the color should be a little lighter with only the wash left in the mortar joints. It's coming along.......

left+side+start.jpg

I took a picture of the three buildings side by side after spending another afternoon getting some details finished. From left to right....... Building 'A' (the kitchen and storage areas), Building 'B' ( the main pub with landlord's accomodation above, and Building 'C' (the private bar... sometimes referred to as the "snug").

all+together+1.jpg

All I have left is to finish the windows, figure out how to build the roofs, add the entrance slabs and add the chimneys..... I think!?

Tony