Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Black Washing Grilles

I don't have a sketch pen.

How do you open them?

Sand them from the rear until you reach the chrome in the recess,then take an xacto and clean them out. It takes some time,but well worth the effort.

How do you black wash or paint grilles? I normally just paint them and wipe off the exess paint.

I take and dip my brush in fl black Testors and the dip 2-3 times in thinner and wash the grill area. if it's too heavy, just dip in the thinner again and wash again. Let it dry and lightly wipe the chrome raised area and you are done. The key is to not get too much paint to begin with. If it dries and is still not dark enough, do it again.

I've found The Detailer for best choice. It's made for black washes and weathering, black Detailer. I used it for my '67 Impala grille, for example. I have not tried it yet for panel lines though, but that's the next step.

PB180315.jpg

Sand them from the rear until you reach the chrome in the recess,then take an xacto and clean them out. It takes some time,but well worth the effort.

I would use a Dremel and grind away the back of the grille until you reach the recesses and THEN clean them out with and X-Acto. You can then touch up any scuffs or cuts from the back side with chrome paint.