Model Cars Magazine Forum

Volvo with 48ft. trailer

30crf3s.jpg

64p5xk.jpg

10p28hi.jpg

Well this is one of my work in progress units, the volvo ( which has been posted on here before) is still not done, and the trailer. I havnt really noticed how bad out of scale that trailer is until I started following this site and well once I mated these two up, well you can really notice it now. So one of my plans of course is to take another truck from the collection with i short bunk on it and mate the trailer up with that so it will be "less" noticable.

The build was really smooth with the truck, and well I'm sure with a bit of modifcation you could easily fit an engine into these trucks.

I want to get a really cool stripe type design for the side of the trailer but I wouldnt have an idea on where to start looking for something like that so if anyone has any suggestion it would be greatly appreciated!

The build was really smooth with the truck, and well I'm sure with a bit of modifcation you could easily fit an engine into these trucks.

I want to get a really cool stripe type design for the side of the trailer but I wouldnt have an idea on where to start looking for something like that so if anyone has any suggestion it would be greatly appreciated!

Ha! nice to see another on of these around! Pretty large spread axle you have there. Why don't you extend the tractor's stripes to the trailer and reverse the colors?

You have a green truck with black stripes, and a black trailer with... Green stripes! Or white or/with silver for that matter. You could just make straight horizontal stripes, the same width and height as on the back of the cab, and end the stripes at the end of the trailer or stop midway and ponctuate it with a "check mark" similar to the one you have on the tractor door? Or just repeat the tractor's design into a larger scale for the trailer.

Or use two colors you have on the cab like green and silver, use one color for the stripes and the other for the check mark and maybe even with a red accent on that check mark, it's endless! You could experiment with automotive tape of different width or even with Pactra tape which is thin enough for models. Dream up your own company name and use decal material from Bare metal or Testors and put that name at the top front of that trailer! It's already nice as it is!

30crf3s.jpg

64p5xk.jpg

10p28hi.jpg

Well this is one of my work in progress units, the volvo ( which has been posted on here before) is still not done, and the trailer. I havnt really noticed how bad out of scale that trailer is until I started following this site and well once I mated these two up, well you can really notice it now. So one of my plans of course is to take another truck from the collection with i short bunk on it and mate the trailer up with that so it will be "less" noticable.

Of course, we're nitpickers too, that trailer looks ok with your Volvo but it does look better with lower cab trucks or a 1:25th scale Lonestar. would probably be a nice match to the Long Hauler Pete.

Thx so much for the feedback Z06Bob, I really like the idea of repeating the design on the tractor but how would I take the same image not only A: find somewhere to get the same design B: find a way to scale it up or strech it?

As for the axle spread? it was a bit closer than that but the front axle is just floating there and kinda rolled on me before the picture was taken haha, so I said screw it and took it anyway.

The more I look at the bad height differance the more I dont like it, so I may just put the trailer with my 377 peterbilt, or this might give me an excuse to build a new day cab truck all done up? Hmmm now there are more thoughts brewing.

P.S Z06Bob, your volvo is the reason why I dug mine out to try to finish, so thanks for the inspiration haha

Thanks James, that is appreciated. You're right, repeating the trucks design would be a lot of work. That would have worked if the decals weren't already on the truck! The way to do it is to scan the decals and modify it on a computer, making a negative of it, then printing it on white decal film. The size would have been a problem though, it would have taken two sheets for both sides. Anyway, don't throw it away just yet, I'm sure it'll fit nicely with a long framed daycab Pete!

I was thinking about this after I wrote the previous comment. Why not take some chrome Bare-Metal sheets and apply them to the sides of that trailer?

It would make a nice stainless steel look to it, wouldn't it! I just might try it on my next van! You could even color coordinate the contours, the roof, the doors with that daycab Pete 378 or 379 or 388 or 389 tractor that's going to be in front of it, along with the spread axles? Would look great man! Think about it...

I was thinking about this after I wrote the previous comment. Why not take some chrome Bare-Metal sheets and apply them to the sides of that trailer?

It would make a nice stainless steel look to it, wouldn't it! I just might try it on my next van! You could even color coordinate the contours, the roof, the doors with that daycab Pete 378 or 379 or 388 or 389 tractor that's going to be in front of it, along with the spread axles? Would look great man! Think about it...

Oh my how the ideas are brewing in my head! But I think I have narrowed it down to a little somethin...But I cant say what it is, all I know is that I'm gonna need a whole lot of styrene, which brings me to my next question, where is the best place to get some for the cheapest price, now I'm not in a hurry for it so if it takes a bit longer for shipping no big deal, even if it is more convienent to buy bulk than I will go that route as well. Bob thx again buddy you are sparking my ideas for not only this project but future projects as well!