Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Engine I.D.

It looks to me like a Ford small block, due to the way the exhaust ports are...

IF you totally ignore the rear sump oil pan, rear mounted, vertical oil filter, front cover, and water pump... which are clearly Chevrolet pieces. Never mind the fact the heads don't look anything at all like Ford small block heads. (FE heads, maybe.)

The space at the front of the block between the pan and front timing cover are for the metal axle used on the AMT '63 'Vette. The 327 found in the same kit also has the same gap, though it's a bit further back on the pan. The reason for the difference is that the Bg Block is meant to be set back in the frame, which is not unusual for a drag car.

I just dug out a few of those engines I have in my stash. Anthony, yours is from the AMT '63 Coupe, which has the hole in the block. The Convertible lacks that hole. I'm not sure what the hole is actually for, it isn't called out in the instructions, and there's nothing in the kit that would go to or through it.

Those are the heads that come with the AMT '63 'Vette. While they may not be 100% accurate to a 1:1 BBC, they aren't anyhwere close to being Ford FE heads either.

Not fe, but cleavland / modified yes. I didn't notice the oil pan or filter and timing cover myself, just the heads. Sure looks to be a "dare I say" hybrid :)