Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 Build (70's style)

Shelbytona

Thanks for the comments guys! As for test fitting the body to the chassis... i only have to test it once on building the shackles and setting the ride height, so i'm not too worried about handling the body to much. Plus it's a Revell kit and they usually fit together so well. I usually don't even glue the chassis and interior tub to the body anyway, unless needed like most AMT kits. This model is very similar to the camaro kit and looks like the fit and finish is going to be perfect.

I sanded the front fender with 400 grit on the front and airbrushed the repair area with some pink to resemble putty and then i lightly coated it in oxide primer. I know the repair doesn't look exact, but it's close enough for me! I also put the rear stripes on.

68ec0bfd.jpg

b932d26d.jpga1133b6c.jpg

Edited by Shelbytona

Yes the charger has blackwashed panel lines as well.. Just not as noticeable against the brown paint. It's just acrylic arts and crafts black, which would wash off with water and a toothbrush. In the pics it really stands out as big panel lines against the yellow, but it doesnt look bad in person. It you look at a 1:1 car the panel line gaps are black.. What would you recommend? This model does have larger gap lines then the other models I built... But then again, most gm's from that era had bad panel line gaps anyway!

Edited by Shelbytona

Yes the charger has blackwashed panel lines as well.. Just not as noticeable against the brown paint. It's just acrylic arts and crafts black, which would wash off with water and a toothbrush. In the pics it really stands out as big panel lines against the yellow, but it doesnt look bad in person. It you look at a 1:1 car the panel line gaps are black.. What would you recommend? This model does have larger gap lines then the other models I built... But then again, most gm's from that era had bad panel line gaps anyway!

Couple things:

1) Take a look at the way you did your '68 Shelby. That's the look you want. Subtle but seen. On most models, though, this will require using a reduced mix of the car's color and flat black (both acrylic) in the door and trunk panel gaps.

2) The seams on the cowl panel and the the tulip panel (below the back glass) should be body color only, as they are non-opening items. Lastly, while the seam for the front splash pan is there, I'd recommend you tone it down some.

Google images can be your best friend when it comes to replicating 1:1 cars.

You're very close to completing another outstanding build, so I hope you understand our suggestions are made to help you get there.

not sure what i would recomend

i never give my panels lines much attention,because yes, they are dark in real life but they are only a few MM wide, scale that down and there isnt much left

if you were to take the panels lines as they appear on this car and scale them back out they would be 2 inches wide?

i liked the way they looked on the charger, so maybe a darker shade of yellow instead of black ?

just thinking out loud here, panel lines is one of those things you can ask 10 different people and you'd get 10 different awnsers

the real point though is that in general im impressed with your build and whats even more, i like them :) this is just one small area where i think you could improve in making it more to my liking ;)

Blackwashed panel lines doesn't work well with light colors at all. I learned that lesson the hard way. You can go back over them with some of your yellow paint to tone them down a touch. Personally, I don't wash my panel lines. I scribe them deeper with a razor saw,photo etch saw and a sharp xacto blade. It has a much more realistic look than washed lines. Something else you want to avoid is washing panel lines where the panels are actually bolted or welded together. Your vinyl top is one of the best I've seen yet. I did the tape method on one and really didn't care for the way it looked and haven't attempted another one yet. I'm definitely going to give your method a try the next time I do one.

Blackwashed panel lines doesn't work well with light colors at all. I learned that lesson the hard way. You can go back over them with some of your yellow paint to tone them down a touch. Personally, I don't wash my panel lines. I scribe them deeper with a razor saw,photo etch saw and a sharp xacto blade. It has a much more realistic look than washed lines. Something else you want to avoid is washing panel lines where the panels are actually bolted or welded together. Your vinyl top is one of the best I've seen yet. I did the tape method on one and really didn't care for the way it looked and haven't attempted another one yet. I'm definitely going to give your method a try the next time I do one.

I agree with what Roger said,, I scribe mine a little deeper with an exacto blade and it does look a little more realistic. IMOP but your doig a fantastic job to say the least.....

Edited by tyrone

Thanks guys for all the compliments and tips.. i'm still learning how to do these little details, so i appreciate the help. I ran one of my damp detail brushes down the panel lines to soak up more of the black wash to see how it would look before removing it all, and i'm happier with how it looks now... has the same look as the 68 shelby. I'm just gonna leave it as is on this model.. my next build i'll do the tips you guys described!

a7f379cb.jpg

b9e0fa1f.jpg

that looks much better Randy,.... that mustang looks good also... missed that one on here... try the scribing technique on your next project I dont think you will be disappointed...

oh, and nice tip on the windshield...

Edited by tyrone

that looks much better Randy,.... that mustang looks good also... missed that one on here... try the scribing technique on your next project I dont think you will be disappointed...

oh, and nice tip on the windshield...

Thanks, it's a constant learning curve building models! I really appreciate all the advice on improving on this/the next model i build!

I got the hood stripes done, just need to blackwash where the scoops are and mount the tach. it was a PITA masking those scoops!

049e36e8.jpg

6c66939f.jpg

Thanks!

I got the it on four wheels today to check the ride height.. i had to lower the front a little. Now i know how long i have to do the rear shackles, so i'll start on them shortly. I got the chassis detailed and weathered, i'm pretty happy with how it looks.

1dad9676.jpg

128b7af4.jpg

a1cab87c.jpg

Thanks! I got the front wheels on and painted. I did them in flat black and dry brushed some graphite on them to give them a steel/brake dust look. I also got the shackles done and the the rear diff all painted.. i did the diff black. I never put adjustment holes on these shackle extensions, since i doesn't appear to have them in the pic.

355869fb.jpg09a25e58.jpg

10a89e94.jpg

Edited by Shelbytona

love the weathering on this build

specially the undercarriage (any change this will be displayed upside down?)

my only suggestion (other then the panel lines we discussed earlier) is the rear wheels

its hard to tell from the pics but i would expect the rear wheels to be deeper then the front

(i mean, why else run 2 different rims?)

specially with the shacles, it seems very likely that he was running deeper rear rims to support wider tires

i would look into that and try to find a wider set

it would definatly go with the feel of the car

(i may even have a set i could trade off myself if your so inclined)

love the weathering on this build

specially the undercarriage (any change this will be displayed upside down?)

my only suggestion (other then the panel lines we discussed earlier) is the rear wheels

its hard to tell from the pics but i would expect the rear wheels to be deeper then the front

(i mean, why else run 2 different rims?)

specially with the shacles, it seems very likely that he was running deeper rear rims to support wider tires

i would look into that and try to find a wider set

it would definatly go with the feel of the car

(i may even have a set i could trade off myself if your so inclined)

Thanks, i made this one look like it's been daily driven for 5-10 years.. Actually the rear rims i have in the pic are wider then the fronts, the pic doesn't really show it. I didn't wanna go as wide as the 69 charger ones, because this car appears to have narrower rims. which rims do you have?

I got all the interior parts sprayed in duplicolor vinyl dye.

9e587fce.jpg