Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush trigger feels "sticky"

So I bought a badger 150 dual action airbrush a few months ago. I've only used it twice and I have cleaned it well. The problem is I went to use it today and when I push down on the trigger it feels "mushy" or sticky. It doesn't come back up all the way and it is very slow at doing so. The needle moves back and forth just fine, but the trigger feels "sticky". If anyone has an idea about what's what's wrong please let me know.

Thanks.

Jared, you probably have paint residue in there. I say take it apart again and clean it, or leave it soaking in warm soapy water over night and see if that helps. If not you will have to clean out the chamber with a micro brush.

And after you've cleaned it out, add a drop of Badger's Regdab or Iwata's Super Lube airbrush lubricant to the trigger to keep it moving freely. Those Badger models are bad to seep paint past the needle bearing back into the body, especially if you withdraw the needle from of the back instead of pulling out the front. I have a Model 100, which is the same as a 150 but with a gravity cup and that thing is a booger to clean out.

Joseph, a lubricant is a must. Thanks for bringing it up. Jared, another suggestion, and this is straight form my own work bench, I use one of those jewelry sound wave cleaners to keep my airbrushes working beautifully and properly.

They used to be expensive, but now you can get them reasonably cheap.

Joseph, a lubricant is a must. Thanks for bringing it up. Jared, another suggestion, and this is straight form my own work bench, I use one of those jewelry sound wave cleaners to keep my airbrushes working beautifully and properly.

I've seen them at harbor freight for like 30 bucks or so , I've wanted to try one for that myself

Doc, is this the one you use?

http://www.harborfreight.com/ultrasonic-cleaner-3305.html

One big note about using ultrasonics and cleaners and degreasers...DO NOT over clean them, as you will draw all the lubrication from the metal.

I am a firm believer of the jar of lacquer thinner and use the plunge and blow method to keep things clean....

I've had the same issue with my Badger 175. I feel I give it a good cleaning after every use but it keeps happening regardless. I never knew about using a lubricant. There is no mention of in in the manual but I guess it couldn't hurt. My girlfriends family owns a string of jewelry/ Pawn shops. I've just recently started taking my brush over every so often for a dip in the ultrasonic cleaner. Now that I know harbor Freight has them I'll be looking into getting my own. Harbor freight is the best! I can't count the tools that I've bought for modeling from harbor freight for a fraction of the cost of the LHS. I love my LHS as well but I gotta draw the line somewhere, eh. Besides if I save cash on the tools I can turn around and buy more kits. :lol::P