Model Cars Magazine Forum

Enamel consistency?

Hello all,

First post.

I just started building my first model ever. I'm really enjoying it thus far. I'm building a '71 Dodge Charger R/T, 1:25 scale.

I should have asked before I even began the project, but: I'm using brushes for all of the smaller components, such as the engine parts. I'm using the bottled Testor enamel kit. I was just wondering if I should be going straight paint on these parts, or dipping my brush into a tiny bit of thinner before applying the paint?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

welcome to the hobby! paint is a highly subjective issue among the members; you're going to get a lot of conflicting advice regarding it. Testor's enamels can tend to run on the thick side, but dipping your brush in thinner each time you use it will contaminate your thinner and cross-tint other colors undesirably. stir your paint with a piece of sprue, and see how thick or thin it is when you're done. it should be thin enough when stirred to flow off the brush onto your surface, but not spread on it's own. add a FEW drops of thinner IF you feel your paint is thickening up on you. some builders pour a small amount of paint into a separate container and cap the bottle again, to keep their paint from drying or skinning over. flat paints can't be thinned as much as gloss paints, in my experience; they turn into "washes". keep your bottle threads clean and keep your caps tight when not painting. get a dedicated bottle of thinner and use it only for cleaning your brushes, and keep your brushes clean. a single drop of red can tint a whole bottle of white paint PINK.

Thanks 62rebel.

I'll make sure to give it some extra stirring before use. I've been noticing the Chrysler Engine Red being rather splotchy when applying it (darker in some areas, lighter in some). I'll make sure to keep the thinner away unless absolutely needed.

For me it seems white and red shades seem thicker to begin with and harder to brush well. Silvers and metallics flow well but need complete and frequent stirring to keep the pigments suspended. With practice you'll be able to tell what needs thinning and what doesn't. Sometimes it takes multiple coats (such as red on white plastic) to get complete coverage. Don't get discouraged and welcome to the hobby. You may become a styrene addict if you're not careful and start wearing red pajamas and smoking cigars :P:lol: