Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cracked Windshield Fix?

I was cutting out the connectors that connect the back glass to the windshield on a '70 Mustang and I cracked the windshield. How do I fix this? I can't order a replacement, the car needs to be done by tomorrow. I have a windshield from a '69 Charger that is going to be a beater and it comes really close to fitting.

Edited by vintagestang

Just for future reference....when you are trimming either the front or back clear plastic glass from the runners that connect them, don't use clippers or scissors... Use a razor saw to cut them apart. That way you won't crack either piece of glass that you want to save.. I learned this the hard way myself a long time ago.

Use flush cutting nippers(wire cutter etc.)Always make sure the flat side of the blade is towards the glass you want and the angled side is towards the sprue, this makes the cutting force to go a way from the part you want and gives a nice clean sqare cut. Don't cut right at the separation point and use nail file to clean up up to the desired edge. Sometimes I use a brand new single edge razor blade to cut when you can lay everything flat on a hard surfuce.

Edited by 935k3

anytime i need to cut windshield/glass i wrap the part in blue painter's tape, using the tape for a guideline and guard against errant cuts. and i always cut it with a razor saw; slow and steady... matter of fact, i use the razor saw to cut MOST parts off the sprue as well; it minimizes the chance of nipping too much off the part or springing it into the great unknown.....

but, back on topic: if there were a foolproof way to salvage clear parts we'd love to hear it! scratches and glue smudges are easy enough... but actual cracks or breakage... just like the 1:1 there.