Model Cars Magazine Forum

Since you're asking, you don't have experience doing this, obviously. So if you plan to do basic paint as shown on the box art, do not make any modifications, put on the parts that are in the box, clean up the obvious parting lines in the plastic castings, take the time to paint it nicely and let the paint dry during the week and working on it only during week-ends, I'd say it's going to be done in about 4 week-ends, maybe a little less depending on how much details you are going to paint to make them stand-out.

If you are building for the pleasure of building and take your time it could take a few months to a year depending on the number of hours you put into it every week. If its a commission build I would give yourself at least 6 weeks, I have had people ask for their model earlier than agreed to.

• 2 weeks later...

The answer is simple how long is a piece of string, man if anyone can answer this question with a time limit they R not doing the job of building a model and so the only way to answer this question is with a question, how long should you spend on a model build.

Dingo B)

The answer is simple how long is a piece of string, man if anyone can answer this question with a time limit they R not doing the job of building a model and so the only way to answer this question is with a question, how long should you spend on a model build.

Dingo B)

Well, If somebody is asking the question, it's obviously because this person has not had the experience yet. It's just to give a ballpark figure to this person that we are answering. By experience, if you are doing the basic work, it shouldn't take much more than such an amount, could take more, could take less, there is no limit. Now, if you are building a model with all the wiring, tubing, removing all the chrome and replacing it with BMF or alclad, making opening doors, operating front axle, lights that light up, three tone paint job with 10 coats of clear, modifying the frame length and adding all kinds of aftermarket stuff, if you weather it, rust it all over, then yes, it could take well over 4 years to finish or a lifetime for all I'm concerned. So it can be anything, it's a passtime, you can put as much or as little time in this as you want, depending on the results you want. So yes I have done the job of building "some" models over the years, so I still have an idea of how much time it can take.