Model Cars Magazine Forum

1976 McLaren M23

Haubenschild

I got this kit yesterday. This build will put all my modeling skills to the test ( been building for around 8 months ) , all comments are welcome

I started off by filling the sink holes and cleaning up the main parts of the body

008.jpg

Here is a mockup before primer

010.jpg

Edited by Haubenschild

The interior was masked off and brush painted with Tamiya XF-16 flat aluminum. I probably should of shot the interior with gloss aluminum since the interior is quite shiny in pictures of the actual car and the fact that the finish is quite textured because of my subpar brush painting skills

008-1.jpg

Edited by Haubenschild

The chassis has been masked off and sprayed with Tamiya aluminum paint

014.jpg

The engine has been wierd , This is the first time I have wired an engine , the silver details were picked out with a sharpie ( I will clean up the silver mistakes with black sharpie )

017.jpg

Edited by Haubenschild

The yellow Tamiya masking tape cuts a pretty fine line. Also there's this stuff I sometimes use called Parafilm. It's reeealy stretchy and will conform to just about any shape you put under it.

http://www.micromark...ilm-m,7551.html

Not cheap anymore i notice...lol

Heres an idea that may or may not work. What if you waited until the paint is really dry, lightly sand down the rough edge, then take a thin strip of clear decal film which you've painted with the same fluorescent red and lay it over the edge, it might do the trick. Since the color breaks are all straight on that McLaren, it might work. I don't know if the paint will melt the decal film, gotta test that, but just thinking out loud ... lalalalala

Oh PS: If you can rig up an X-acto knife with two parallel blades, you can cut nice even-width strips from the decal film. You just have to figure out how wide you want them to be before you make the knife.

Edited by Rmodeler

The "rocket red" has changed over the years it was active. I know that the red and white paint for the Penske PC-18 was manufactured by PPG.

But the red of the era McLaren you are building was far more orange looking in person. By contrast, the fluorescent red of a 1990s Senna McLaren was far redder and more similar to the Penske color.

Edited by Rmodeler