Model Cars Magazine Forum

'30 Ford Coupe

ZombieHunter26

Monogram's re-release of the '30 Ford Coupe is replacing the '40 custom pickup on account of an accident with some spilled MEK >.<....

Gonna do what I can to salvage it, but from what it looks like I won't be doing the shiny build. In its absence, I will be building the '30 coupe.

The plan is to give it a nice, aged feel. Think 'barn rescue'. I'm gonna pull all my stops and tricks, and make this one -really- nice.

I've got it all pre-assembled in sections, like I always do before I prime it. Once the primer dries I'll take some pics!

In addition, I put all the chrome bits on prior to priming, because I will be painting them over with one of my acrylic metal colors (I find they are easier to age than straight chrome). In a bit, I will get the pictures up!

Edited by ZombieHunter26

So here is the next step, what I call the "clean age" stage. Basically, I put my brown shades down with a sponge brush over the primer coat. Stippled, not stroked- strokes give lines, not blotches. (we should all know that rust doesn't have a "stroke pattern" :P)

I then took the time to brush on body colors into the areas the sponge brush would not cover, and then stippled the rest of the body accordingly.

I then detail painted, and took the time to give some thought to larger rust blotches. I then assembled the major assemblies, with the exception of the trunk and roof (to allow for touchups in the trunk and glass assembly). After that, I gave it a Dullcote.

Here's the result so for, a total of 12 hours build time.

IMG_20120303_173346-vi.jpg

IMG_20120303_173400-vi.jpg

IMG_20120303_173427-vi.jpg

IMG_20120303_173306-vi.jpg

The next step is to dirty the interior, body, and chassis accordingly. After that, I will be assembling the glass, roof, and trunk.

Keep checking in!

Edited by ZombieHunter26

your GrandDad would be the first to tell you that the roof insert doesn't rust... it's rubberized fabric over a wood frame, with chicken wire and cotton batting under it. it would deteriorate and show the wood slats, etc. other than that, you pretty much captured the one he had in the barn when i was a kid.....

the radiator shells on A's were nickel plated; they don't rust like chrome.... hard to explain.

your GrandDad would be the first to tell you that the roof insert doesn't rust... it's rubberized fabric over a wood frame, with chicken wire and cotton batting under it. it would deteriorate and show the wood slats, etc. other than that, you pretty much captured the one he had in the barn when i was a kid.....

the radiator shells on A's were nickel plated; they don't rust like chrome.... hard to explain.

Thanks Dad & Jeff! I'm glad you like it.

I can still go in and add the insert details, it's not quite done just yet :) I had a little trouble getting '30 reference photos for the proper aging- google is chock full of customs and rods built from this particular car- but I did manage to find a few to help with the exterior rust.

I'll be going back to the workbench later on to poke and prod at it a bit more- as well as add the glass :)

IMG_20120303_211404-vi.jpg

IMG_20120303_211455-vi.jpg

The plan is to build a barn front diorama for it, and add debris and more 'dirt' to the build, but that's gonna take me a while as I scrounge up the materials for it (and possibly a reference photo of a certain barn from long ago....).

For now, it's done! Lemme know what you guys think!