Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does anyone have any info on a Cat 3406B? am looking for a drawing or stripped down photo's of the block and head, also need some measurement for the pistons and spacings between them

and a good photo and dimensions of the crank and cam if possible

any help would be great thanks

googles your best freind in this situation tony

Thanks Chris, I have spent a few hours searching, but can't find what I need , have brought the Cat manual for it to show the layout and how it goes together, but can't lift the drawings to use it,

I am modelling one in 3D so I can proto type it, and build it in brass, so finding the right info is required

What I really need is some one that has one in bits ready for re building

Scott, no not that manual, but the parts manual, which I have attached a pic of, and what the drawings look like on the inside

Does your manual have the same type of drawings? or are they better?

I also have the industrial engines drawing book as well which covers the external dimensions

Does the 3306 and the 3406 share the same block?

Thanks

post-5672-0-92891900-1330929719_thumb.jp

post-5672-0-04538100-1330929747_thumb.jp

Tony

I looked thru that book and it's what it is ... a service manual. It shows silhouette outline drawings of the block,head rocker covers and so on for bolt torque sequence. It does give the o.d. diameter of the piston however it does not give the width of the piston liner flange. The liners sit in the block so the bores in the block are considerably larger than the pistons' o.d. That and it doesn't give distance between the bores in the block. The photos it has are basic and are of dis assembly. It does give distance from the end of the block to where the cylinder head alignment dowel should be on the front and rear of the block. Those are worthless when dealing in 25th scale. To be straight forward and honest w/ ya I would be wasting my time taking pictures of the illustrations uploading them and then posting them. They aren't going to give you exactly what you want. I know this because I use to look for the same kind of reference for past projects. I'd offer to sell it to ya but you wouldn't want this! It's wore out from when I started my career wrenching on trucks and then being stored in my tool box at work for over 18 years after I quit doing truck work and started fixing the trailers. Not to mention the greasy finger prints and all the reference notes I wrote on some of the pages that pertained to the repair(s) I was doing at the time. That book did give a few ideas for doing basic detailing which I used on a few past projects but I'm sure there are photos on the net that could be just as helpful.

Your best bet will be a long shot but try going to a rebuilder / rebuilder jobber supply shop and ask them if they have a stripped down B model Cat (core) in stock that you could take the measurements you need and the photos that would benefit you. Like I said the photos are black and white grainy and basic. I've got service manuals for the 92 series Detroit as well from wrenching that I tried using for model building detail and I ran in to the same problem. They helped me at work but were nearly worthless to detailing a model.

I tried for ya!!!

Good Luck!!!

Thanks Scott

I figure that this would be the case with your manual, and figured that the pistons and liners would be a matching set if replaced, the piston part numbers are related to the engine number, which relates to the vehicle that they are fitted, which again relates to the hp out put, confused yet??

for example a 3406 hp output is from 285hp-425hp, according to my book, which doesn't have the width of the pistons, just part numbers relating to the engine number,

I think this is really not that big a deal, modellers license is ok here, what I do require how ever is the measurement between pots, which would help with the set out of the block

and give me a datum point for the rest of the block details, I think you are right I am going to have to find one that I can measure, not a easy task here, but will keep trying

Not doing a 1/25th, but a 1/16th version for a long time build I have been doing

Thanks again for the info

Chris

Thanks for the links,

1. The engine is 65.35 inches long, 35.67 inches wide and 52.56 inches tall.
  2. On the 3406, the bore is 137.2 mm or 5.4 inches and the stroke is 165.1 mm or 6.5 inches. The displacement, or volume of air moved during each revolution of the engine, is 14.6 liters or 893 cubic inches. so you could divide the the length of the block by 6 and use 5.4 inches as your scaling point to make your cylinders and the gap should be even