Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Petty 1968 Roadrunner

Scottnkat

One thing that this Roadrunner model is missing is shock absorbers. It has two for the rear differential, but that's it. So, we need to make some. Let's start with some small plastic tubing.

DSCN1042a.jpg

We will need to make four shocks, so we are going to cut eight pieces of this 1mm wide as so:

DSCN1043a.jpg

We then cut four lengths 8mm long. Once we have those, we glue four of the small tubes on top of the four longer tubes. It should look like this:

DSCN1045a.jpg

We've now made what will be the tops of the shocks. Now we need to get started on the other half...

We need to take the four remaining small tubes and drill a small hole through the side. It should look like this:

DSCN1047a.jpg

I went looking for paperclips, but I just can't find any. So, I decided to raid my wife's sewing pins. :) Cut off the tapered pointed end so you are left with a straight shaft. If this were a paperclip, then we wouldn't have to worry about this step.

DSCN1048a.jpg

We then push the pin (or paperclip) through the hole in the small tube as shown below and glue it into place:

DSCN1049a.jpg

We then measure and cut the top of the pin off. In this case, I made the pins 10mm long.

DSCN1050a.jpg

Simply slide the pin (or paperclip) into the sleeve that you made in the last step and voila!! We've got shock absorbers that are adjustable and will fit anywhere you need them to. As you can see, the pins are a little skinny, so a paper clip would work better. But feel free to experiment on your own...

DSCN1051a.jpg

Of course, they need paint and a little bit of clean up, but you get the idea.

Edited by Scottnkat

Well, I have an update now. The engine is sitting in the engine compartment - woo hoo! I still have a few things to do in there, but it is slowly starting to come together.

DSCN1055a.jpg

Also, I am done with the suspension and undercarriage. It's nice when everything fits.

DSCN1056a.jpg

And I got some more done in the engine compartment.

DSCN1059a.jpg

I made the air cleaner earlier this evening. That covers up almost all of the firewall's factory stock detail. I know my intake manifold is not as detailed as a real one would be, but after a few tries I just decided to stick with something plain and simple, but with the basic shape. After all, the air cleaner covers most of it up. I do need to put another coat on the air cleaner to sorta smooth out the looks of it, but you get the idea.

Edited by Scottnkat

By the way, it was pointed out to me that the space between the trunk and the rear window is blue as well - I missed this and painted the rear in the way shown above. Well, I made a mistake, so I had to repaint the back of the car just now to correct that - I'll post updated pics after it dries.

Finally, the running gear is about all done - yes, the chassis is sitting on it's tires now. Does anyone else get excited when you finally put the wheels on and find that all four tires actually touch the ground? I love that feeling!!

DSCN1070a.jpg

Dave, here's a pic that shows the back of the chassis pretty darn well

isaac769sm.jpg

Regarding the rest of it, I have this from page 2 of this build:

And the answer IS...full pan. The only one I could get a hold of was Patty (Kyle's wife) and she put me on to Larry. The 1968 Roadrunner had a full pan that went from one side of the car to the other, not only covering the drive shaft tunnel but the area under the trunk as well. The leaf spring area and rear axle were cut out for spring travel and only the bottom of the early crude fuel cell showed under the car.

Thanks, Liam. most of the smaller parts are painted with Testors brand enamels. For the industrial blue (such as on the wheels and suspension components), I was using Krylon's dark blue. For the Petty blue, I used Rustoleum light blue with a bit of white added to it. Funds are tight and I'm on a budget, so I've been having to make due with Walmart paints. I know they are not exact and there are better paints out there, but this fits with my budget.